Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime Instability / crashing/ hangs on new build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 krogoth101

krogoth101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hi Guys,

I've been running in circles trying to figure out what is causing this problem and can't seem to find a cause.

I've recently built a new workstation with the following spec:

Asus Z8NA-D6
Dual intel X5660's
24GB Kingston RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX3800
Windows 7 64bit

Everything is working perfectly apart from Quicktime which won't open certain .mov files namely (ProRes encoded). It will also crash when encoding to certain codecs with the .mov wrapper. I originally thought it was the graphics card but even with quicktime running in safe mode without hardware acceleration it won't play the files. I have tried numerous back dated drivers with no luck at all. In the event manager I get an AppHangB1 error (I can't find any information on what might cause this)

I even went as far to try a different card (GeForce 480 GTX). But still it won't play. It is quite a problem as I work in a mainly mac based design studio and I finally managed to convince them to let me build my own workstation as I felt I could get more performance for the budget of a MacPro. The same files play fine on all the other Windows 7 systems (some that I've built as well incase your thinking it's my shuddy craftmanship.. :flowers:.

Worse thing is it is causing other programs that use quicktime to become unstable i.e After Effects, Premiere etc. Really hope someone can shed some light on this situation to help drain the red from my face :thumbsup:

Thanks
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

Sounds like you don't have the right codecs installed. I'm not familiar enough with Quicktime and .mov files to say for sure. I normally use Sony Vegas and Windows Media Player. An easy codec pack to use is Cole2k. http://www.cole2k.net/codec-pack-advanced.html

Sorry if I'm way off - this might be a better question for the software experts here or an AV forum.

That's a heck of a system though, by the way. Most of us here only dream about that kind of horsepower!

#3 krogoth101

krogoth101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:28 AM

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought at first as well but when I tried to install the ProRes windows codec it told me that a newer version was already installed :thumbsup:

I'm trying to think what is majorly different between this build and others that I have done that might be effecting this... Only thing I can think of is that maybe it's the soundcard? which is technically onboard audio, but it comes as a seperate MIO card? Say if this was the cause because of out of date drivers etc, would it cause playback issues with files that don't have sound?

I did try a fresh install of the OS and then just installed quicktime and still it won't play the files I need.

The system is great, but I do a lot of 3D animation and compositing video so I can find ways to strain it :flowers:

#4 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

My gut feeling is still saying this is a software issue - although maybe not your run of the mill one. Since you've already tried swapping hardware, can you swap encoding programs? Sony Vegas gives you a 30 day full trial and it works well with 3rd party codecs. It might help you narrow down where the problem is coming from. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro

Another thing you can try is VLC media player. It's not the most polished player in the world, but it should help you figure out if it's the files or the encoding that's causing the problem. It should be pretty easy to find.

If you really think it might be the sound card, try removing it completely from the system. Then it shouldn't matter whether the drivers are up to date or not.

Just out of curiousity, are you using your GPUs for encoding, or just the CPUs?

#5 krogoth101

krogoth101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Not sure if this helps - the event error log:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: QuickTimePlayer.exe
Application Version: 7.66.71.0
Application Timestamp: 4ba1a755
Hang Signature: b65c
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: b65c84c268c0ebdec6ebf97b01d810c4
Additional Hang Signature 2: 40dd
Additional Hang Signature 3: 40ddfa80da59f2c4aaa68a413dd3da62
Additional Hang Signature 4: b65c
Additional Hang Signature 5: b65c84c268c0ebdec6ebf97b01d810c4
Additional Hang Signature 6: 40dd
Additional Hang Signature 7: 40ddfa80da59f2c4aaa68a413dd3da62

I've tried using VLC but it cannot play it as it doesn't have access to the "acph" codec (aka ProRes). As for the encoding errors they happen whether I use the CPU or GPU - I think if I can fix the playback of the ProRes file the encoding should hopefully be okay as well.

I have tried disabling the sound card in the device manager with no luck (would that be just as good as removing it physically?). Also I've notice that in the Sound, video and game controllers section of the device manager there are 4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio "devices" which seems strange.

I know quicktime isn't exactly well coded for windows but I just can't understand what is the differing factor between this machine and the others that is causing this problem :S

#6 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

That's what I thought at first as well but when I tried to install the ProRes windows codec it told me that a newer version was already installed :thumbsup:

Going back to this, maybe this is the issue - how easy is it to uninstall the ProRes codec?
I'm reading up on it: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/08/...o-quicktime.ars
Looks like using the codec is supposed to be pretty simple. Any sample files I can test?

If it's as simple as uninstalling it from Add/Remove programs, I'd try that. If not, maybe it's time to start hacking in the registry. (don't forget to back it up first!)

#7 krogoth101

krogoth101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

Until recently the prores codec was installed separatley, but with the latest versions of quicktime if you try to install the codec you get a msg telling you that a newer version is already installed. So it seems as if it is standard in the quicktime installer now...

I'll try and track down a sample piece of footage for you too test...

#8 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hmm... Maybe that's it... Can you get an older version of QuickTime to try? Maybe the new version with the integrated ProRes support is a little buggy...

Oh, and I use dropbox if you don't have anywhere you can host a file. Let me know and I'll PM you a link.

Edited by YHB318, 16 June 2010 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users