Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Old Installation File and Software Logs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ps37458

ps37458

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

I regularly run virus scans and try and clean up my computers, either manually or invoked by Mcafee.
I'm running XP SP3 on all my pcs.

I've just had a trojan problem to fix and whilst working the the steps given to me I sent several hours wating for various scans to finish.

It reminded me that when I have been looking to free disk space my calculations never add up as there seems to be many megabytes, probably gigabytes of disk space hidden with files that I have no knowledge of.

I often see (as they whizz by) references tons of folders under windows and system32 folders starting with $ signs and having uninstall or IE5 or what look like old windows patch references.

I recently removed AVG9 from a laptop to install Mcafee but under All Users Application Data there are still folder references.

What happens to all the old Windows update patches once they are installed can they be deleted?
Is there sofwtare that does delete these types of files.

I have access to 3 PCs and none of them do a full scan in less than 2 hours.

Thanks In advance

Edited by ps37458, 11 June 2010 - 04:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

FWIW: The length of a virus scan...depends on two factors: the program and the volume of files you are scanning.

The length of a partition/drive scan, using chkdsk /r...depends on the condition of the partition and the size, as well as unexpected problems. When encountering a problem, chkdsk /r will try to resolve it over and over...until it's either forced to toss in the towel or it has done all that it can do.

I think that...if you look at the sizes of the files that you seem to be concerned with...you'll see that you would gain much more hard drive space...by removing unnecessary, unused programs...and by copying music/video files to disc or another partition...than you will by ferreting out files such as you have mentioned.

Considering the number of system files which exist (several hundred thousand on my system), I don't expect to know what they all are for. All I know is that my O/S tends to be problem-free and that's my goal.

A typical suggestion that I would make to any user running XP...don't create a large partition for XP and programs. I create 20GB partitions and find that my O/S and my programs installed and all critical updates (close to 100 in addition to all thru SP3) take up about 11GB (including the pagefile).

If a user only has one hard drive...he/she should partition it into a smaller system partition and large storage partitions...rather than install XP on 500GB hard drive/single partition.

Louis

A possibly useful tool: WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2...4-10614593.html

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#3 ps37458

ps37458
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for this.

I appreciate what you say and we do regularly move pictures, videos and music to an independent disk drive so freeing up disk space.

I've downloaded te software and will do some analysis of the files on our pcs.

I have no idea how large many of these files are so will be interested in the results.

I'm certain there's loads of old program setup and install files around even though software has been deleted and I've used CCleaner to remove old references etc.

I'll do some more work and raise a new topic if I have any specific questions

Thanks again

Edited by ps37458, 11 June 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

If you have questions, no need to create a new thread...just post them here.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users