Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hello People:

I need to have an external HDD for the obvious reasons , but have never owned one, or used one. I read about the various Western Digital products , Books,Passports, etc. It is for my desktop PC, and it doesn't need to be portable, as I think it will stay put once installed. I mention Western Digital, because that was installed in the two computers I have owned, and never caused problems so far.
I have also read some about Western Digital drives : Caviar Blue, Green , and Black. I was thinking about trying the 1 tb Caviar black. I contacted the Western Digital on line store, to see if these Caviar Blacks were being put into any of the normal Western Digital external storage products. The response I received is what you might expect in todays' marketing world. They said they didn't know what drives were used in any of the external products. Yeah, right. Somewhere in that company maybe overseas, are 100's of people that know what drive is being used.
I next thought about "Do it Yourself". Can I, or should I , buy the internal hard drive of my choice, or your recommendation, and install it in one of those Thermaltake caddies , add an "Ultra" brand aluminum hard drive cooler with heatpipes [Ultra p/n 40010.], and use this setup ? The Ultra is one of those passive coolers with no moving parts. Basically it's an aluminum-finned product that dissipates heat fairly well, according to various tests, I have read on line by normally trustworthy names. It doesn't use fans, or liquids.
The Caviar Black, comes with a 5 year warranty, and has some mechanical and electrical improvements over other brands.
As a "newby" to external storage , would it be smarter for me to buy a "MY Book Elite", to get the built-in programing ? I want to save the minimum amount of OS backup data, that could be of help, as well as some pictures, and on line articles about hobbies I have etc.
My current desktop is a Gateway GT5438; Intel Core duo processorE4300; 320 GB SaTA II;Duel channel 2048 MB DDR2; 15 in 1 card reader;Intel graphics accelerator 950. I have at least 2 unused USB ports & 1 firewire. Windows 7 , professional 32bit. I am not a gamer, but do watch movies .

Feel free to make comments about the existing computer, as well as the External hard drive questions. If the computer needs something, don't hesitate to say so. It was bought new in 2006. I can't afford an out-of-the box new one, but can afford upgraded components.

Edited by nosmiley, 11 June 2010 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

You aren't going to find a WD Black in an enclosure direct from WD. Blacks tend to run a bit warmer, and use slightly more juice than the green series.

This has been my latest backup solution:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182196&cm_re=rosewill_dock-_-17-182-196-_-Product
I grabbed one from the Egg when they were on special a couple months ago. I use it with an extra 1TB WD black. No complaints, works as it should.

As far as backup software, I don't really have any good input. I make a backup of my main drive as soon as I get everything setup correctly, all drivers, printers, internet favorites, cookies, Outlook files etc. After that it is just a straight data backup I do manually. I save pics, documents, Outlook files etc. For a home system, I never really figured out the benefits of constant backing up of the OS/app partition. By the time the worst happens, I will be in the mood for a clean fresh image restore to get my rig in "like new condition" again. That's just me though.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users