Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Computer freezes randomly
I have an HP Pavilion a6500f desktop, and it started freezing all of a sudden. So the first thing I thought is that there is a virus, so I backed everything up and reloaded the operating system (windows 7). However the loading process got to the last step and then the computer froze again. Next I thought it may be the ram so I went and got two 1G ram sticks, plugged them, but still same thing, the computer freezes at the last step of the setup process.

So is it possible that the hard drive may be bad and thats why the computer freezes up? And what else can I try if it isnt the hard drive either

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 votter

votter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

I am thinking that it could be the hard drive. How long have you had the computer for?

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Is the computer getting to the windows loading screen? The login screen?

Please provide a more in depth description of your issue and I will do my best to help you troubleshoot.

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

votter, yea it may be the hard drive although why would i be able to load anything if it were

neil b: yes it shows the intial windows screen but then it freezes at the last step which says 'windows is updating settings'

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

What Operating system are you running?

If you suspect a hard drive failure, you can test it with a program called UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD). This program has hard drive testing tools that you can run and will give you a pass or fail result. If your hard drive has bad sectors, or is failing in anyway this CD will let you know. Here is the download link: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

If your hard drive tests good... the next step is to see if you can boot the computer into safe mode successfully, which can be done by tapping the f8 key continuously as the computer is booting and then selecting "Safe Mode" from the menu.

Let us know your results :thumbsup:

#6 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

right now i dont have an operating system on the drive, cause when i tried to install windows 7 it formatted everything. So there is no way i can go to safe mode, no OS. I suspect it isnt the hard derive, cause if it were the loading process would not have been able to get to the last step. But Im going to get a new hd and see if that works.

If the RAM slots are bad then can they still read RAM memory or not. The loading of the OS starts up so Im suspecting that the RAM slots are ok. But if they are bad then what causes them to get bad

#7 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Im confused...

Your trying to boot your system without an operating system??
You cant boot a machine into Windows without windows...
Load win7 and try a boot..

If your RAM slots are bad, your RAM will not work... period.
If you are getting video, your ram slots are fine. If your concerned that your ram is failing, you can test it with memtest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users