Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to retrieve a file from /TEMP or the cache?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

A challenge to all you hackers and otherwise clever folks out there:

Can someone help me figure out how to save a file in a \TEMP folder that seems very resistant to being saved? (For understandable reasons!!)

In Firefox, I was listening to a piece of music that I wanted to save. Of course, the first thing I did was to look in the cache, but I couldn't find it (based on time, and the size of the file).

I did eventually find this file in c:\documents and settings\username\localsettings\temp. The file was named wxyz.tmp. I figured I would copy the file to one of my own folders and rename it, but XP would not allow me to even copy the file because "file is in use by another program". So I closed the tab in Firefox from which I had heard the music, and to my surprise, that file disappeared!

There has to be a way to do this. also, is it possible that this file has actually been saved somewhere other than \TEMP ? I could not find it anywhere on my disk except in \TEMP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

The temp directory is a place where temporary files and process locks get stored. You must first close all other application that maybe in use. This will ultimately delete the temp file you are trying to save. How were you listening to this song?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hmm...I've done this...but it's so long ago that I've forgotten how.

There are links on the Web that tell you how to do it...or you can use software to capture from the .tmp file.

I don't know how DRM works...but I would suspect that you are wasting your time if it is a piece of music covered by it.

Capture Music Files

Louis

#4 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

A quick note to all who read this or replied:

This AM it occurred to me that the code for the page had to have a link to the music. I examined the code, and sure enough there was a link. so I entered the URL in the address bar of my browser and was taken directly to the site, and was able to capture the music. (Which I then deleted, since it was not all that interesting, in retrospect, and in any case the key point of the exercise was to figure out how to capture a given target file.)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

The temp directory is a place where temporary files and process locks get stored. You must first close all other application that maybe in use. This will ultimately delete the temp file you are trying to save. How were you listening to this song?

in Firefox. (don't recall which release.)

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

I examined the code,...

Code does have its priviliges.
I have had some success at viewing temporary files by way of CCleaner. Now I gotta listen to a song to see if it will work. <_<

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users