Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How often do you clean up your hard disk?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

I can't find a good place for this so it's landed here in General.

I remember back when my family first got Myst II:Riven and it took a massive 75MB of Hard Drive space, and we even had to upgrade from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 to run it! We had 56k dial-up internet that came with some awesome sound effects to.

Where I am going is that hard drive space was at a premium and computer speeds were very low, so it was very often that you were taught to dump your temporary internet files, delete old documents and generally do whatever you could to recover extra disk space (also ICQ, and Hotmail were cool but that's another story). Defragmentation was common due to the relatively large amounts created and destroyed by just making documents.

So now that we have fast computers with +2.0ghz Dual Core Processors, +1GB RAM, and relatively massive hard drives (500GB easy) the computer resources we get to work with aren't at the premium they once were. How often do people do maintenance on their computers. and how often do you Need to? If you have noticed that you don't maintenance like it's 1997 anymore, when did you stop doing maintenance like you used to?

Personally I have gone over a month before running disk cleanup, and almost never defragment anymore. Still my computer speeds along like nothing is phasing it. Still my hard drive has nearly 300GB of free space.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

I clean up and defrag every Sunday at 3:00 AM (It's automatic - I am in la-la land at that time. :thumbsup: )

I have always found it to be a good practice to do HD maintenance at least once a week. I schedule mine to occur while I am sleeping, because it can take a looong time to defrag a HD, today. I have found that registry maintenance is just as important as HD maintenance, as well.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

I tell people to do maintenance at least once a month on their systems.
On mine, uhhh.... Its been a while
I better start practicing what I preach!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

typically, personally, never unless i have a problem lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

I generally reinstall the OS every 6 months.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

I have found that registry maintenance is just as important as HD maintenance, as well.

I have to disagree with this statement.

Unless you know what you're doing in the registry, it's best left alone. Even then, you should make a back up of the registry in case something goes badly wrong, which it can.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

To my way of thinking, having a defragmented drive has to be one of best ways of reducing wear and tear on your hard drive. If Windows can find everything it needs in one block, commonsense says that this will be easiest on the drive. To this end, I use Magical Defrag and install the free IOBit Smart Defrag on any other machine I have dealings with.

More good tools are in Revo Uninstaller. Install the free version then choose AutoUpdate and choose Install the Pro version. There are easy cleaners for Windows and most browsers. Leave the cookies unless you want to re-log in to each site again.

Disk Cleanup/ChkDsk - once in a blue moon. Might do it now, LOL.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

I generally reinstall the OS every 6 months.

When I had XP thats about how much I reinstalled it. With vista or 7 I havent had to (Vista prolly coulda used it, but I got tired of messing with driver issues with vista each time, and so far 7 hasnt given me much fits. I dont modify my registry much, and I dont do a lot of surfing-so I dont much need to clean out or defrag my computer. Heck, im not even using 100 gigs of the 500 gigs I have available currently (I could have a terrabyte, but I decided to raid 1 them instead)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

I run disk clean up and defrag once a week. IMHO if done often it takes less time to do them. I agree with rowal5555, it should extend the life of your hard drive. It spends less time spinning around looking for things.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

Having been accustomed to computers with extremely small hard drives, I habitually clean up as I go as a matter of habit. Anything unneeded is either stored to disk and deleted, or simply erased, and Firefox is set to empty itself each time it closes. I agree that defragging is an important process, and monitor my drives at least once a month.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have Bleachbit setup as a weekly cronjob. Deletes about 250MB of crap each time.

#12 arcksonn

arcksonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:34 AM

HI,

It's not possible for be do any clean up, Every year I just get the new one for putting down the new data. I have the hard-disk ranging from 2GB Samsung hard-disk when i had win 95 as my OS and finally now having 1TB hard-disk on my computer.

#13 noobgore

noobgore

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

I clean it up every couple of days, and defrag every month or so.

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

I also do a msconfig/startup to see if anything cheeped it's way in there that shouldn't be. Sometimes when one downloads a program it will attach it's self there and you might not want it to.

#15 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

It spends less time spinning around looking for things.

But what if you never use it? It's like re-shelfing old library books that you never read, until their hardback covers peel off.
My point is, for unused data, defragging is more harm than good to your hard drive. I think this needs some real-life investigation :thumbsup:
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users