Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble maintaining a connection to an unsecured network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kahakauai

Kahakauai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi BC community, this is my first post here.

I just moved into a studio apt and my landlord has wireless Internet included in my rent. I was usuing his connection withno problems for a few days, However, since day before yesterday it started booting me off the connection and will NOT reconnect unless I call him and have him reset the router. Once the router is reset, the connection will work fine for about 20 mins and then kick me off again. Does this have anything to do with the fact that it's unsecured? Should I have him secure the connection and provide me with a password?

I'm running an Acer Aspire 6530 laptop with vista SP2. Any help would be appreciated! Mahalos!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

What are you doing while connected to the wireless network?

#3 Kahakauai

Kahakauai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

The first time it crashed, I was downloading some windows updates. The most recent, I was looking at some TVs on wal-mart website. Nothing out of the ordinary really. I ran spybot and checked my hijackthis log and everything is normal. I never had this problem when I was at my last place with a secure connection

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

The problem could be with the router, and how many connections it can remember since the solution is rebooting the router. When the NAT Table fills up the router is unable to remember or make any new connections till older ones fall off the table. A reboot is a quick way for this happen. I would look into getting your own internet account, and talking to your landlord if they can drop the rent due to you not using the wireless service.

#5 Kahakauai

Kahakauai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Ok, I'll look into it! Thank you very much for the help cryptodan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users