Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop user can log in when Cat5 is unplugged

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Ortiz

Mike Ortiz

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'm not sure how to correct this issue. They are using server 2003 SB. This user can log into their machine when we unplug the cat5 cable. We can then plug the cable back in and all network resources are available. But if we log that machine off, they can log back in until that cable is unplugged.

Any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

Xp will keep a cache of the login for a period of time allowing the user to log in to the local machine. Then as you stated when the server comes on line network resources are available.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Mike Ortiz

Mike Ortiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Xp will keep a cache of the login for a period of time allowing the user to log in to the local machine. Then as you stated when the server comes on line network resources are available.

My problem was not that network resources were not available. I could not log into the machine when the Cat5 cable was plugged in. I had to unplug the cable in order to log in. That was the weird part. I think I corrected the issue but I still would like to know how/why it happened.

I was able to log into the machine locally, remove it from the domain, then re-attach it to the domain. Now it seems to work ok, but I still don't know the how/why.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Glad all is working....as far as why?? Well sometimes with weird stuff we will never know.............just be glad it is working.......... :thumbsup:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Mike Ortiz

Mike Ortiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

Glad all is working....as far as why?? Well sometimes with weird stuff we will never know.............just be glad it is working.......... :thumbsup:

So True.

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

It sounds like the locally cached pw was out of sync with the pw on the server. When the cable was plugged in the user was being authenticated by the server and when the cable was unplugged the user was being authenticated locally.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users