Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery Disks Will Not Load

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wallyag

wallyag

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

After downloading a program to clean startup menu Windows totally shut down. I cannot go into Safe Mode or any other options to start Windows so I ordered System Recovery Disks from HP to reinstall XP Professional but the only message I get is "Insert Disk labeled Recovery" and will not read disks. Hard drive works fine but I cannot get a command prompt as well. Suggestions...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

What was the name of the program you downloaded?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

good question but unfortunately I don't remember as I started having problems shortly after downloading it

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,169 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

Chances are the CD does not have the drivers you need to read the Hard drive.

How do you know the Hard drive works fine? Can you boot to the Recovery Console?

Can you post the computer model? Perhaps there is a special process to run the Recovery CDs.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

I was originally able to boot to the recovery console and I did a hard drive system check which showed the hard drive was working properly, but since that time I am no longer able to even get to the recovery console as when I turn on the computer I don't even get the HP screen so can I assume the problem is more hardware than software related?

HP Pavillon DV8000

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

If you can't get to the HP logo screen, chances are there is a component that shorts the Mother Board and consequently the Power-on self-test (POST) is unable to complete. That is definitely Hardware related. You can try to remove some of the easier components one at a time, until you are able to see the HP logo. For example, you can remove the battery and run the PC with the power cable only, and test if you are able to get to the HP splash screen. If that does not resolve the issue, try removing another such as, memory modules (just one at a time), the CD ROM and so forth.

If unsuccessful, you will need to take the PC to a tech for an onsite diagnostic.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users