Combofix is not malware. However, certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as Combofix may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool
", "Hacking Tool
", "Potentially Unwanted Program
", or even "Malware
" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case
. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, registry fixes, malware strings it contains and the type of security engine that was used during the scan.
Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where a Malware Removal Expert asked you to use the tool or when an authorized user/administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program.
It means it has the potential
for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious due to the security program's heuristic analysis
engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware
. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish
between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove
them. In these cases the detection is a "False Positive
However, please note the message text in blue
at the top of this forum. No one should be using ComboFix
unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator
to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert
. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here
Please download TFC
(Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.alternate download link
Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.
- Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
- Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
- Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
- TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
- Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(v1.46) and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
- Exit MBAM when done.