Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSoD Error: 0x00000073

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RJOpal

RJOpal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Hello,

Well I've searched for this error and have found many people asking for solutions for it, but haven't found a proper solution. As I'm in Bangladesh, we tend to have a lot of powercuts. Today, my PC stays on the BSoD when I start it, whether I try Safe Mode or the Last Known Good Configuration or any other mode. It does go to Recovery Console, but I don't know what to do there.

The error it shows is:

0x00000073 (0x00000001, 0xC000017d, 0x00000002, 0xF829FBB8)

I don't have a Windows installation CD with me and am not likely to get one anytime soon. I know the cause, but how exactly do I get to the root of this problem and fix it? Re-installation is the last resort, so any other options are welcome.

Thank you!
RJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Anytime that you have a shutoff from such as power loss...the chances for damage to key files is there.

My premise is that any such loss of power...should always be followed by the user running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console. Chkdsk /r can overcome certain types of file damage that may occur.

The XP Recovery Console is available for download, so it's not a big deal if you don't have an XP CD.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Looking at the error message you received, it appears that you are out of disk space. If that's true, some files need to be moved from your system partition before you can expect the system to function properly.

STOP Error 0x00000073

I would try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console first...one of the checks done involves disk space and it may give you the opportunity to boot successfully.

If that fails...then I would remove the hard drive, attach it to a second system...and move some data files (video, graphics, etc.) from the system partition.

Louis

#3 RJOpal

RJOpal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. I'm saving this for future reference, as well. =)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Did it work for you? If so, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 RJOpal

RJOpal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yes it did! =D I didn't have to remove the hard drive, thankfully. Again, thank you!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Thank you for posting back...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users