Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen after start up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YdoUask

YdoUask

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hi, I have an old HP pavilion 533w, with an added graphics card. A while ago the heatsink came unglued and hit the graphics card, and probably rattled around in the case. I opened the case and found the loose heatsink. I'm now running it by laying it on its side with the other side off until I can get some thermal paste. It usually takes a few tries to get it to actually boot (rather than just have the fans going), but once it does, it had terrible color quality (4 bit and 640-480 resolution). I tried messing around with it and ended up trading the probably damaged graphics card (windows couldn't find it), with one that I had before. Which leaves me where I'm at now. I get to the Window's load screen, and when it should get to the log in screen, it's blank. I figured I'd try it in VGA mode, and it worked, until I went to change the resolution or color, when I do that it immediately goes to blank screen after I hit apply. Any idea on how to resolve this? Preferably in a way that I wouldn't have to open it in VGA mode first (I'd planned on passing the computer to a friend who is currently using a 95, but she's terrible with computers and don't know if she would know how to handle it, but it's fine if it has to be opened in VGA mode as well.)

Ah, forgot to add specs:

Intel Celeron 2 GHz (hp)
1 gig of ram (hp)
Maxtor hard drive (hp)
western digital hard drive
intel graphics controller (has an x on the icon)
nvida geforce fx 5200 (when I go into device manager and look at it's properties, it says the system has changed and needs to restart (even though nothing else was clicked, well cancel and ok, but they both give the restart prompt)
pioneer dvd-rw
(looking in device manager, I see 4 monitors, 3 "default monitors" and 1 hp pavilion v70s, which is what I actually have hooked up to it)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

I hope you have replaced/repaired the fan by now - It is important - You can have over-heat problems that can cause major dramas -
You only need the one graphics card and you need to update/install the drivers for it -
Remove the Intel graphics card and plug the wires into the nvida card - Then update the drivers (on line) -

EDIT - You can install Speed Fan (free download) to keep an eye on your temps -

Edited by noknojon, 11 June 2010 - 06:49 AM.

#3 YdoUask

YdoUask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Oh, the fan is fine, just the heat sink that's setting on top of something came undone, I was just looking at it as I was packing it up to move and found out why it came off to begin with, it has hooks that tether it to the motherboard and two of them came out. I guess someone knocked it when they were installing some of the parts. Either way, I don't think it would overheat now, with the side open, but I'll check.

As far as the graphics card goes, I do only have one in it now, but the onboard graphics handler (I guess it'd be a chip), is in/on the motherboard, and there are no wires attached to it, if I could find it. I already have nvida drivers up to date as well...

Any other ideas? (I can't get the computer on right now, I was borrowing a power cord from another computer, and someone else needs to use it at the moment)

#4 YdoUask

YdoUask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Ok, so I put speed fan on and it has the following readings:

temp 1:33C
temp 2: 72C
hd0: 35C
hd1: 26C

so something is running hot, but I don't know what it is. That said, I know this was moved to hardware problems, but I think that might be more or less fixed (Computer can start normally at least the last three times it did, and it recognizes the graphics card). I think the problem is that it doesn't want to use the graphics card unless told to (VGA mode). Or I could be wrong, but yeah, does this help with figuring out what the problem is?

#5 YdoUask

YdoUask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

Sorry, I couldn't find the edit post button, I think I fixed it somehow. When I went to move the computer, the heatsink almost fell off again, and one of it's anchors (then I realized why the heatsink fell off in the first place, one of the anchors came out and it came loose) came out. I found the anchor and put it back in. Also, I think I may have had the other graphics card in at the time I was posting, I was just giving the Device Manager readout, so I had a good graphics card, and a bad one in at the same time, once I just took the bad one out (well, and replaced with a sound card) everything ran smoothly. Thanks for moving this over to hardware to give me the idea though :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users