Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BCU - Browser Configuration Utility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

I have home-worked the net and got nowhere so far, so I will ask my friends here. This unknown intruder has the impressive name of - Browser Configuration Utility Auto-Recovery Service.

Recently, I have noticed BCU.exe and BCUService.exe pop up in my Active Processes List. I do not know where it came from or what program owns it. The providers appear to be DeviceVM.
It takes 296K of Memory, with a memory peak of 2,212K and 712K VM. It all sounds one hell of a lot of resource. AND for whom or what ?

I have disabled BCU.exe using CCleaner and Blocked the files using Comodo Defense+, but it still comes up on the running processes and keeps asking Comodo to modify the Registry key which is disabled every few seconds. Consequently the Comodo Defense Events are growing at a massive rate.

The whole thing is a pain. I wish I could quarantine every bit of it, but none of my several security programs pick it up as a threat.

Please can anybody tell me what this parasite is ? Where did it come from ?
How can I get rid of it ?
The only download I have recently had worth a mention is Sandboxie - surely that did not place this nuisance on my PC ?

Any explanations and help will be greatly appreciated.

John Bull

Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3, Sandboxie, SpywareBaster, AVG9, Comodo Pro Firewall.

Edited by John Bull, 11 June 2010 - 05:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidgeton

davidgeton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Browser Configuration Utility is not a virus or dangerous. I assume you have a Gigabyte motherboard and when installing the system this program gets installed.
There is also a readme file stating "The Browser Configuration Utility is an easy-to-install, easy-to-use, powerful search engine."
I found it here on a Windows 7 system -- C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility

This file mentions
"The Browser Configuration Utility is an easy-to-install, easy-to-use, powerful search engine."
"In the Address Bar of either Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8, type the string of characters you want to search for, then press the <Enter> key. The default Address Bar search engine is Yandex (for Russian), Baidu (for Simplified Chinese), or Yahoo (for all others), depending on your language and location."

You can safely uninstall by using Windows control panel's Add/remove programs utility to uninstall the Browser Configuration Utility and restore your browser autosearch function back to normal.

Edited by davidgeton, 02 December 2011 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users