Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laka1

laka1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

What setting should i have ?

The Windows prefered option is install updates automatically at a set time?
What happens if the computer is not on that time?
What if it is never on at that time??
What then?
Why does Microsoft have 3am as default setting??

I have not had any luck with this option. I see important updates are ready to install but it never happens automatically.
Why?

Another option is to allow widows to dowload updates but let me choose when to install them.
When i pick this option, i get a message on the taskbar stating updates are available to install
which i then proceed to do.

LAKA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

I use the setting "allow me to choose".

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

I just set mine for automatic at a time when I know my computer will be on. For you, this may mean when you typically get up in the morning, or if you're on it habitually at night.

Also, It doesn't necessarily check at the time you have it set for. The last time mine checked for updates was 4+ hours after it was scheduled to. In short, if Windows doesn't get a chance to check at the appointed time, it will do so at the next available opportunity.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

I like Jacee use allow me to choose. It can never hurt to take a look at them before you download them. The 3 o'clock thing. The way is suppose to work when set on auto download. If the download is available and you boot your compute at a later time it will pick the updates up and install them. You might check your settings, it sound like you have it set (allow me to choose).

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

Since my computer is on all the time, I have mine check for updates every night at 0300Z or 2300EDT. Its more of a preference thing, and I let it do it automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users