Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Windows Security Center

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

I was using Panda Cloud antivirus. But recently, I switched to ESET Smart Security 4 which is better.
The problem is however that Security Center identifies that I have done so. But in - "Manage security settings for:" it shows "Panda Cloud Antivirus" instead of "ESET Smart Security 4".

To give a clearer understanding of what I'm trying to say, here's a screenshot -
Posted Image

Please help me with this.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gforce321

gforce321

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

You should definatly go to the control panel, then "Add/Remove Programs" and check to see if the Panda AV is still there. Remove it from there correctly (Uninstall).
A lot of AV programs will "fight" with each other and not play nice. In the future, before you install one, you should completly remove the other and re-boot before install.
Back up my Hard Drive? It has a reverse?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

Well...the obvious question is did you uninstall the Panda application properly (via Add/Remove Programs)?

A search of the Web indicates that Panda is one of those nuisance programs that are sometimes difficult to uninstall. You may want to try the following.

Panda Cloud Uninstaller

Louis

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

I have thoroughly checked if Panda Cloud Antivirus is there as an entry in Windows (via Add/Remove Programs).
I still didn't find any trace of it there.

@hamluis - I tried to download Panda Cloud Uninstaller via the link you provided. But when I clicked on the download link on that page which leads here, I was led to Panda's website and when I clicked on the download link there, I was led to this page which showed an error.

Please help.
Thanks for your support.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hmmm...you may want to try http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterprise/su...&idIdioma=2.

It seems to me that Panda doesn't take responsibility for doing anything but installing their products.

Louis

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hmmm...you may want to try http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterprise/su...&idIdioma=2.

It seems to me that Panda doesn't take responsibility for doing anything but installing their products.

Louis

I tried to follow the information given in the link, but its a bit different from the program I installed( I haven't even seen something like Panda Endpoint Protection in my computer yet), I installed Panda Cloud Antivirus - The Free one, not the pro version.

So, what should I do now ?

Also is ESET Smart Security 4 good ? Since, I've just started using a trial version and will obviously buy a year's license if its better(and faster). :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help you have given me so far. :D
SYSTEM SPECS.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I can't tell you much.

I do remember downloading/trying the Panda product a few months ago (for familiarity) but I came away unconvinced that it was anything special and I had no trouble removing it.

Re your question about Eset...all personal opinion/preference, IMO.

I don't believe in paying for AV/firewall/software...where free products allow me to accomplish my goals. I believe many free products are just as effective as their priced counterparts, but the priced counterparts are usually acquired by users who don't seem to think as I do.

The utility of any AV program...relies upon the user keeping it updated on a regular basis. My AV will update daily, so I don't believe that updating it weekly/monthly, etc...is going to cut the mustard.

From what I've seen...my strategy works. I don't get infected and I don't have system problems related to malware. That's my goal.

FWIW: Gizmo's - Best Free Antivirus Software Gizmo's Tech Support Alert - http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...us-software.htm

I use Avira Free...and I have tried earlier versions of many of the other (paid and free) AV programs (Comodo, NAV, Panda, et alia). Some of these may be superior in some way today...but I cannot argue with the success I have with Avira Free.

A typical way to effectively remove remnants of programs...is to reinstall said program and then either remove it via Add/Remove Programs...or use some utility like Revo Uninstaller - http://www.revouninstaller.com/. I've never used Revo...I can get rid of anything that leaves remnants (if I choose to) but there are many users who use it with satisfaction.

Louis

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for all your support. I guess I will install Windows 7 in a while now. So, all of this shouldn't be a mess.

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:
Kind Regards.
SYSTEM SPECS.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users