Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing to a bigger hard drive from another computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarkastik1

Sarkastik1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:30 AM

I have an Emachines Hard Drive with tons of storage. The computer it was in had a power supply problem. Someone gave me a newer computer, a Compaq that had a few better features but a very very very small hard drive. 1000mp3s pretty much filled the hard drive and the computer barely ran, whereas the Emachines hard drive held the same amount of information and still had 75% free space.

So

I decided to try and swap out the hard drives...with little prior knowledge, lol. I don't know, it seemed easy at the time...

With the Emachines hard drive in the Compaq computer I immediately got a Windows verification error. This came up before I could get to the desktop. I was being asked to connect to the internet to verify Windows. BUT, How could I connect to the internet when the computer stopped me from getting to the desktop where the option for my broadband internet connection was located? (?) I closed the verification box and was stuck in the screen that shows the owner's icon and the restart/power off option. Nothing more. No other tricks to try...

In the end I have the smaller hard drive reconnected as C drive and the larger, more awesome hard drive as F. Because I couldn't figure out how to make it work as the primary hard drive, I reformatted it and deleted all windows operating files from it. I got rid of everything. So now I basically have a 108GB memory card instead of a hard drive...

If I wanted to use it as a hard drive again, in the C drive, is there any way to do it? I'm not very computer-savy, but I can follow directions pretty well and have good common sense. I'm sure I was missing some uber important step in hard drive installation, but I was just trying to wing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Back up all of your files from the hard drive. Reload the operating system, and use the license key on the compaq to load winders.

If the compaq doesnt have a liscense key, or an invalid one, use the one from your old system. Sound to me like winders doesnt like the new motherboard. When you put a hdd (hard drive) into another system, winders will freak out when it sees the new hardware... usually, you will get a blue screen and a repair is needed. In this case, Id say a complete reinstall is needed. You can try a repair (i would do that first), but if that doesnt work you will probably have to reload the OS with your operating system discs.

#3 Sarkastik1

Sarkastik1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:22 AM

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

FWIW: Users are probably better off (riskwise) using multiple hard drives...rather than betting the farm on just one lonely drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users