Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft hides mystery Firefox extension in toolbar update As part of its regular Patch Tuesday, Microsoft released an update for its various toolb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

You may want to check, but on my Vista I don't see any new add-on and I don't even have C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack folder.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010...lbar-update.ars

As part of its regular Patch Tuesday, Microsoft released an update for its various toolbars, and this update came with more than just documented fixes. The update also installs an add-on for Internet Explorer and an extension for Mozilla Firefox, both without the user's permission. As you can see in the Windows Update screenshot above, Microsoft does not indicate that the update will install anything for either browser. It's also not really clear what the installed extension actually does.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 June 2010 - 03:15 PM.
Edited to comply with fair use rules. ~ OB

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Broni for the information. As for Firefox can't I just delete the extension. Let us all see which company gits back to B/C with some sort of answer.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

The above link from MozillaZine doesn't work for whatever reason, but here is more info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...8&t=1920407

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

There is some information here: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010...es-update-1.ars that discusses how to get rid of the extension if not the update.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

5. Delete the folder named "SearchHelperExtension"

Now, I remember. I did remove that folder, when MS tried to sneak in some other garbage into Firefox, few months ago.
That would explain, why I wasn't bothered this time.

My Website

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

I do not see this extension in my list of add-ons and I recently got all the updates.

Posted Image

I do have the above file location and within it I see the follwoing: ChoiceGuard.

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Speaking of choice guard, I checked that one out. Do you folks know what it does? From my research, I got information saying that that is a small application that keeps your homepage at the default microsoft-installed, homepage. I don't really like it, but the good news is that it is not really anything after you tell it otherwise. My homepage is bing anyway, so I'm sure everything's fine. But what I don't understand is the fact that people don't like that Microsoft installs things. if you have AU enabled, and the wuauserv service is running, then what Microsoft installs is up to them. You gave them your permission to install whatever when you installed windows and made that config change. That's my take.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#8 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

Does anyone have a sample of this little bugger?
Like chromebuster said, it is probably a homepage hijacker and also possibly changes the default
search engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users