Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Starter glitch on installing a scanner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spritesuzi

spritesuzi

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:12 AM

Hey,

I just wasted two hours trying to connect my Canon CanoScan LiDE30 to my HP Mini 210 netbook (Atom 450, 1GB, 160G hard drive)

First problem was getting it to load a driver. After trying a couple different things, I finally got that done. Then I opened the Windows Fax and Scan app to scan my document. As soon as I click on the New Scan button, it tells me no scanner detected, check power and connections. Okay, it's a USB scanner with power taken from the PC, so that can't be it...so I check Devices and Printers. There it is, right where it is supposed to be, under Devices along with the USB Receiver (for the wireless mouse) and the netbook itself... I go to Properties, and it tells me the device is working properly. I go to Troubleshoot, and again, it tells me it is working properly. I checked whether the driver I installed (From the Canon website!) needs to be upgraded; no, I've got the latest version. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the driver. Nope. Any thoughts on how to get this )(*&%^#*#( thing to recognize that there is indeed a scanner connected?

(oh, by the way, if you are given a choice between XP or W7 Starter, GO WITH THE XP!!!)

Thanks!
Suzi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

May I ask how old the scanner is? As good as Windows 7 is about finding drivers, sometimes old hardware just won't work, no matter how hard you try. This may or may not be the case here...

I'll admit, Starter is kinda dumb, if you ask me, but they try to tout it as their "netbook compatible" OS or whatever. I'm running Pro on my netbook (see my signature below), and I get awesome performance. Also, I have proven in the past that a Starter install uses almost exactly the same resources (hard drive space, RAM usage, etc..) as an Ultimate install. They try to pass off Starter as a "lighter" version, but it's really not. Just more limited.

But yeah, it could just be the scanner is too old. If you've bought it within the past couple years, then I'm at a loss. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 spritesuzi

spritesuzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for answering, Ninja. Yeah, the scanner is at least four years old...I really hate when they make a perfectly functional piece of gear outdated like this! The driver did install, but I guess the WinFax and Scan can't find it!

Do you have any opinion on the W7 Home Edition? Since I'm in New Zealand, even that will cost me NZ$160 or more for the upgrade...

Thanks,
Suzi

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

You may want to try the Windows Vista Driver found here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...wnloadDetailAct

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, you can try that driver Dan posted, but don't get your hopes up...

Do you have any opinion on the W7 Home Edition?

Opinion? Well, it has a few more features than Starter. See here for a comparison between all versions. Home Premium is really all most people need. The only reason I have Pro is because that is the only version I can get through my university's MSDN AA account. Too many people want Ultimate just because it is the "ultimate"...the best edition they can buy. The only differences between Pro and Ultimate: BitLocker and multi-language support...two things most people will never need.

So yeah, if you can get Home Premium, go for it. The main reason people despise Starter is because you can't change the Desktop background, although there is a workaround if you're willing to go to the trouble.

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 spritesuzi

spritesuzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

Dan,
Thanks for the thought, but that's the same driver used for XP, etc. It's the one I installed...and Win7 says it is there, but then again it isn't. Very frustrating!

Ninja,
Thanks for the info. Is there a link for instructions on that desktop image work-around? My husband really would like his surf-beach photo back on there ;-)

Thanks again!
Suzi

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

How to Change the Desktop Background in Windows 7 Starter Edition :huh: