Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was I ripped off? Windows Vista OS reinstall ??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 or2tx2002

or2tx2002

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:30 PM

Hello,
I have a PC that was working fine until May 18th when the keyboard stopped typing. The USB port that it plugs into appeared to be loose so I took it to a repair shop and showed them the loose port and asked them the cost of having it replaced. The man stated that he might be able to tighten up the motherboard which may help so he opened up box and began tightening screws all over the inside with a screwdriver. Once he was done, he put the cover back on PC and sat it upright and it now wouldn't boot up properly from that point forward. Finally, after trying to get it to boot up, he told me to leave it with him so he could figure out what had happened with it. I called ever couple days to check on status and each time I was told things like "we are working on it" or "we are trying to find out what is wrong with it". They never called me at all. Finally, on June 4th, 22 days later, I get a call saying my computer is fixed. I asked them what they had done to fix it and the man tells me that they had to wipe the OS clean and reinstall and that I had lost all my photos and documents.
I picked up the computer yesterday and began searching to try to see what they had done to it and when I go under "Uninstall programs" it shows all the programs currently on the PC and the date they were installed. What I immediately noticed is that just two days after I dropped it off to them (when the OS whas supposedly so corrupt with a virus or something that they couldn't even get it to boot up properly and couldn't even access my documents or photos) it says that on 5/20 that "My HP Games", "Realplayer", "Rhapsody", "HP OnScreen Cap/Num/Scroll Lock Indicator", "HP Photosmart Essential 2.0" and "Yahoo Toolbar for Internet Explorer" we installed. My question is that if they installed these things on 5/20 and then had wiped the entire OS clean afterwards and had to reinstall the OS and Windows wouldn't they have had to reinstall those things again? Also, is there anyway to see what date they reinstalled the OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Putting this in the run dialog may get you somewhere:

cmd /k systeminfo | @find "Original Install Date:"

This won't work properly if the OS was reloaded from an old image. I'd also check the creation date on the WINDOWS folder, which may also be off. I can't really think of any solid ways to get an install date unless I knew what method was used to install it (image restoration, clean from disc, etc.)

I wouldn't know why it would stop booting though, or why they would need to reinstall, unless they replaced the motherboard, which would prompt such a thing. Kinda sounds to me like he wasn't properly grounded when he tightened it with a (possibly) magnetic screwdriver and cooked part of the mobo. That would most definitely account for issues in booting.

Edited by Riker, 10 June 2010 - 11:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users