Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy "Bad" Sata Hard drive in IDE Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hey guys,

I have a HP m1270N computer, and I think the hard drive died, with some physical issues. BIOS won't detect it, and it makes interesting clicking noises, and it won't boot up.

I really want to see if it can be fixed, at the best, or, at least, get the data off of it. I have an enclosure I bought for another project, but, the enclosure is IDE only, and this hard drive is SATA. Any ideas?

Also, I cannot pull the hard drive - it's very tight in there, and it's bolted to something, but, I can't get the screws. I saw some green plastic hooks that, I suppose, are supposed to be used to release it, but, I can't find out how. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

Sounds to me like the drive is head crashing... which means the drive is physically broken and cannot be fixed. It will also be near impossible to retrieve data unless you send it off to a "clean room" in a professional data recovery building that charges you 200 bucks an hour.

There are two ways to pull the drive... it will either have screws or clamps holding it in place. Is the hdd mounted in a hard drive carriage? if so remove the carriage, and then the hdd. If there is no carriage, it will either be screwed into the mounting bay or held in place with brakcets, or both.

help this helped. But like I said, if its head crashing, your our of luck Im afraid.

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, Neil. I am going to believe that I am going to be able to get that HDD fixed this weekend, or, at least, the data retrieved.

#4 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Disconnect the cables, pull the green plastic hook an 1/8 of an inch and push the drive out the front.
The green hook latches into the center mounting screw hole.
Or at least this is one type of green latching mechanisms.

A drive that makes rhythmic noises is often physically broken.
Data recovery runs into the hundreds of dollars.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361118,00.asp

Hey guys,

I have a HP m1270N computer, and I think the hard drive died, with some physical issues. BIOS won't detect it, and it makes interesting clicking noises, and it won't boot up.

I really want to see if it can be fixed, at the best, or, at least, get the data off of it. I have an enclosure I bought for another project, but, the enclosure is IDE only, and this hard drive is SATA. Any ideas?

Also, I cannot pull the hard drive - it's very tight in there, and it's bolted to something, but, I can't get the screws. I saw some green plastic hooks that, I suppose, are supposed to be used to release it, but, I can't find out how. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeremy

David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users