Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new equipment and textures problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 szpak

szpak

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

i got a new motherboard: MSI P55-CD53
memory: OCZ Gold 2GB DDR3-1333
and cpu: intel core i7 860

+i have EVGA geforce gtx280
PSU 600W

and now after a few minutes of playing any "modern" game like gothic3, dark sector or mmo wonderking texturing fails, sometimes partially sometimes i cant see a thing, from time to time computer restarts.
i didnt have such problems with my old equipment: AMD X2 4200+ and noname motherboard. i dont accept solutions like "reinstall windows" :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

Did you install the CD drivers or did you download them? CD drivers are often out of date.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

What power supply? There are great 600 watt PSUs, there are crap 600 watt PSUs.

What are your GPU temps when the problems occur?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:23 AM

i dont accept solutions like "reinstall windows" :thumbsup:

What if that is the correct solution to your problem?

I'm not saying it is, but if you have replaced the motherboard without the pre-upgrade procedure, Windows is still set up for the previous board. The hardware abstraction may not be appropriate, AMD specific patches may have been installed whereas you now have an Intel CPU, etc. Doing a repair install can solve odd behavior after a change.

For example, Microsoft's instructions covering XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 szpak

szpak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

gpu temp is normal, about 75 C;
EAGLE power supply;
i tried to donwload up to date drivers from msi site but i couldnt find anything usefull;
maybe you're right about windows especially that it is preinstalled windows for my old gateway computer, and only hdd remained the same, still it is the last thing i want to try because there is so much data to backup and i dont have boxed windows

Edited by szpak, 11 June 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#6 votter

votter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I don't think 75 degrees C is normal

Edited by votter, 11 June 2010 - 09:43 AM.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

75C is hot. I would suggest upgrading your cooling. I agree with dpunisher that their is a great deal of differences between brands of power supplies. If you tell us your tower and cooling that we can help if needed. My video card is at 32c at this time.

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

maybe you're right about windows especially that it is preinstalled windows for my old gateway computer, and only hdd remained the same, still it is the last thing i want to try

So the same systems settings and drivers, before and after the upgrade? :thumbsup:
A fresh install of Windows is generally recommended, when you upgrade the major components of your PC.

EAGLE power supply;

Is this the one?
If so, here are the +12V dual rail specs: +12V1@17A, +12V2@19A

And here are the minimum requirements of the GTX280:

Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 40A

gpu temp is normal, about 75 C;

It should be idling at around 50 C.
Only on full load, while playing games like Crysis, should it get to 75-80 C max.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 June 2010 - 08:26 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 szpak

szpak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

i dont think it is PSU problem because it was ok on old motherboard, anyway what PSU should be apropriate for my computer ? 50 (windows desktop) - 80(crysis etc. at very hi setup) C is normal range for my card, i try to increase fan speed, auto gives only 43% at 74 C

A fresh install of Windows is generally recommended, when you upgrade the major components of your PC.

i will do this asap

Edited by szpak, 11 June 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:03 PM

Well, it isn't a problem but you're just cutting it close.
EVGA recommends a minimum of 40Amps on the +12V rail.

Serious gamers with serious cards almost always purchase PSUs with a juicy +12v rail to power their cards. (no dual rails, atleast at this range)

Some options for your card:

Corsair 650TX
Corsair 650HX (Modular)

And some serious quality, SeaSonic X650

50 (windows desktop) - 80(crysis etc. at very hi setup) C is normal range for my card

That's correct.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 June 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#11 szpak

szpak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

now i have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit installed and problem is back back with the new face. now after random time in all the 3d games i got either "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" popup or just screen blinking or game crash or BSoD (in one case) (no more texturing fail), another change in my pc: i bought another OCZ Gold 2GB DDR3-1333. i tried to reinstall driver in a few ways and some fancy solutions i found on the web but problem is still on. It isnt GPU temp issue because i got crysis crash before temp reached 60 C (i tried playing with 100% fan speed). Does anyone have any good idea or real knowledge ? please share.

p.s. what is cpu phase ? i have 4 leds on my new motherboard with CPU_PHASE description, i cant find any explanation on the web.

Edited by szpak, 28 June 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

(Does anyone have any good idea or real knowledge ? please share.) ((Sorry I have no real knowledge.))

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Well, I can only speculate over possible reasons:

1. Graphical glitch in the game
2. Flaky memory module on the GFX card
3. Flaky RAM (system) module
4. Issue with the driver(downgrade/upgrade)

Straight off the MSI motherboard manual...
Posted Image

#14 szpak

szpak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

yes, but what is "phase power mode ?"

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

The low core voltage needed by the CPU is generated from the +12V supply by switching regulators using MOSFET transistors. A single regulator could handle the amount of current needed by lower power CPUs in the past, but modern ones especially multi-core CPUs draw huge current, so multiple regulators switch in sequence to deliver the necessary amount of power. This is a multi-phase system, the term phase describing the timing sequence between elements of a repeating cycle.

Your board has four switching regulators, hence four phases. When the CPU is idling or working under light load, it becomes more power efficient to shut one or two of the regulators off and run a two or three phase system. The four LEDs indicate operation of the phases, if one or more LEDs go out at any moment, that phase is resting, and the CPU core power is being supplied by the remaining phases that have their respective LED lit.

How many phases are operating, shown by how many LEDs are lit, is the "phase power mode" (4-phase mode, 3-phase mode etc).

Edited by Platypus, 29 June 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users