Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a few questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RWA3

RWA3

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Ok,these may seem like dumb questions to some of you,but I was always told the only stupid question is one not asked. So here gos...

I noticed while dusting the other day that my cable box(on tv)has a USB port. What is the purpose? Can I download the programs I have on my DVR to my computer? Can I play movies on my computer through my tv using this port?....The tv is somewhat old and has no wireless capabilities like the new ones..but the cable box is hooked to it.....just a few questions since Im sure watching movies on the tv would be much better than watching them on my 15 inch laptop :thumbsup:

TIA,Russ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

That USB port is for cable tech people. They can install some box updates through it, for instance.
It has no use for you.

There are DVD players, which have USB ports and you can play .avi movies straight from USB flash drive.
I have one, made by Phillips.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 RWA3

RWA3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

found a phillips at our local walmart but was bundled with the surround sound and all the other goodies...I dont wanna spend $200 for all that crap just to watch movies. I already have a decent(not great)surround sound system...just want to be able to watch movies from my puter on the tv i already own............

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

This is what I have: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ed=0CC4Q8wIwAg#
I don't remember right now, what site I bought it from, but it was about 50 bucks.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users