Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware/Spyware/Rootkit that Spybot and Malwarebytes won't remove

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmichaelberg

jmichaelberg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

I am running XP home.

Several days ago, my cpu came down with a 'virus.' While browsing, links are hijacked and rather than directing to the desired link, the browser will direct to a "shopping" or "ad" site that can't be closed down. Sometimes it will direct to supposed antivirus sites and once, adult sites. I have tried a various combinations of rkill, malwarebytes, spybot and McAfee and update prior to each scan. Both McAfee and Malwarebytes will detect trojans or rootkits and remove them, and I can browse without issue, but the problem will rear up again after a time. I have run Hijackthis and created a log but don't know what to do beyond that.

Any suggestions?

Edited by elise025, 11 June 2010 - 05:21 AM.
I am moving this from the XP forum to Am I Infected ~ elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jmichaelberg

jmichaelberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Thanks. Seems to have worked.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

If you’re clean, you should create a new Restore Point to prevent possible re-infection from an old one.

Go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click System Restore. Choose the radio button marked Create a Restore Point on the first screen then click Next. Give the Restore Point a name and then click Create. Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point. Go Start > Run and type: "Cleanmgr" (without the quotes). Click Ok > More Options tab > Clean Up in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Also, go Start > Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs. Post back and report any Java or JS2E entries that you have.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users