Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATDMT.com

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BlindEye

BlindEye

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

I'm posting about my experience today with "ATDMT.com" interfering with my online usage, locking up my computer while I was trying to address and send an email via earthlink.net.

I was waiting for the email program to load and after a few minutes I noticed that this address beginning with ATDMT.com was controlling my computer and exercising the hard drive to the point that nothing else could load. So I just unplugged the comm line and it stopped, of course. I was concerned because it looked to me like some kind of virus that was downloading all of the data on my drive. Turns out it was doing just that, copying my usage history. After googling ATDMT.com, I found that other users had the same complaint, asking for help defining exactly what it was. some forums said it was harmless while others gave advice on how to block it. A few of the concerned users were on this site, that's how I was led here and decided to register and post because there seemed to be a number of conflicting opinions on ATDMT.com activity. Personally, after seeing the way it locked up my computer today, I'm looking for advice on how to completely block it and all of it's variants.

So, as many on this forum probably already know, ATDMT.com belongs to ATLAS SOLUTIONS, not too recently aquired by Microsoft. I'm posting this information for those who don't know the source and think they may have picked up some kind of BOT or Virus. Atlas Solutions collects user traffic data, anonymously they claim, for Microsoft and others. Atlas has a "PRIVACY POLICY" that is available to read here: http://www.atlassolutions.com/privacy.aspx This is really an education for anyone who hasn't seen it. Microsoft pitches the capabilities of Atlas and similar variants as the solution to advertisers visibility into the online habits of potential customers, and they have multiple ways of slicing and dicing it. The Privacy Policy talks a lot about cookies and anonymous data collection. What I thought was funny was that if you want to OPT OUT of their data collection activity, the only way they can do it is to PLACE A COOKIE on your computer that tells it's harvesting programs "Don't Enter Here". What a joke.

http://www.atlassolutions.com/privacy.aspx

If anyone has anything to add I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks Much,
BlindEye

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users