Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A bunch of windows 7 problems. Don't know if it's an infection...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acornman37

acornman37

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I just installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on a new custom computer several days ago. Everything was fine at first, but recently several problems have seemingly randomly arisen...

I was installing Civilization 4, and before it ended, I got a BSOD. When I restarted, the game seemed to work fine, as if it installed, but if I try to patch it, it says that the game is not installed on my computer. Since then...

Firefox now crashes on me every 10 seconds, even though it had worked perfectly fine until today. I'd submit the crash report, try to restore session, and it would crash in a short time again.

A window from the Action Center keeps opening, saying "Windows search has stopped working properly", and asks me to follow instructions to "rebuild" the search index. If I close it, it opens up in several minutes or less again by itself.

There seems to be a problem extracting things, because now whenever I try to install something, I get an "data error" or "file corrupt" during the extractions stage. I tried to install Dragon Age Origins, and it stops at 25.1% extracting every time and says "Data error". I installed this game without a problem on my old computer using the same exact operating system. I tried to reinstall Firefox, and during extraction of setup files it says "File corrupt". Just 2 days ago, I installed firefox perfectly fine.

I have installed all available updates for windows, and installed all motherboard and video drivers, etc. I'm not sure if this is an infection, because it is a relatively new install (2-3 days), and I've only been downloading programs that I've used in the past without problems, like Audacity, SuperAntiSpyware, DAEMON Tools, etc.
I would also try system restore, but the only restore point available is after this all started happening. I read somewhere that for some reason in windows 7, all the restore points are deleted on every boot.

I have a Hijack this logfile, but I don't know how to attach it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

I gave in and completed a Windows 7 repair install via upgrade media. So far it looks like everything is back to normal. :thumbsup:
Though I'll never know what happened in the first place...

#3 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

So, some of the problems are gone like I expected, but some problems remain...

Mozilla kept crashing again; It would crash right when I clicked it, before it started, every time. I reinstalled it and deleted my profiles. Right now it's working fine but last time it also worked fine right after I reinstalled it.

I successfully installed the games that I couldn't before, but now I'm still having "Data errors" and "Files corrupt" messages during the file extraction stage of installations. For example, I downloaded the firefox installer and it said "Fires corrupt" when I tried installing. But for some reason I redownloaded it and it worked.
I tried installer updated video drivers, but also received an extraction error.

Windows explorer also randomly crashed several minutes ago.

Anyone?

Edit: Mozilla started crashing again. I don't know why. I think it started when I "saved tabs" and opened it again.
If someone could tell me how to attach a Hijack this log, that might help.

Edited by acornman37, 12 June 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#4 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

bump...

#5 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

Anyone have any suggestions? The crashing firefox and "data error" extraction problems are still prevalent. Help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users