Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't write in Outlook Express & IE

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thatsme

thatsme

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hello Everybody,
some days ago my computer started to have problems.
I have checked all the pages in this forum, but I couldn't find the same problem, that's why I'm posting now.
- when I am in Outlook Express and I click on "reply", the new mail appears, but I can't write anything in it
- when I try to copy something from a mail, it can't be done
- when I open the Internet Explorer browser and I go to a search engine, I can't write anything in the search box. If I want to login on different sites, I can't write in the "username" and "password" boxes. If the pc automatically inserts my username and password, when I want to send mail from an online account, I can't write in the boxes "to", "subject" and in the body of the mail.
- if I want to look for something on a web page, the dialogue window "find" appears, but it is inactive, and on top of it there is another dialogue box: "Error in the dialogue window. Error: 40. Unspecified error" (I don't know if it sounds exactly like this in English, as my computer "speaks" Italian)
After 90 minutes - 2 hours, the problem disappears.
In Netscape I don't have this problem, but for my work I have to sign in to a site which works only in Internet Explorer.
I have tried to do a "repair" and the next time I turned on the pc, it worked ok, but the second time I turned it on the problem appeared again (I have done it from start - run and wrote the name of those dll's, as when I go in Settings-Control Panel- Add/Remove, there is no repair button)
When I have this problem and I want to know details about IE (version etc.), when I click on the "?" sign I can only see:
Version:
Code level:
Serial number:
and on top of it another window with: "Error in the dialogue window. Error: 96. Unspecified error"
When IE starts working, I can see it's version 6.0 and the rest of the details.
Some problems appear in Norton Antivirus, too: When I open it there appears a box which says: Norton Antivirus has found an inner error of the software. If I go to the "Scan" tab, I don't see all the possibilities (scan pc, scan a folder, scan a file, scan floppy etc), there is only the image of the pc and a box appears "Error in the dialogue window. Error: 30. Unspecified error" and behind it another one, saying Error in the script on Internet... (here it interrupts, as the windows is too small and it's inactive). Continue to run scripts on the page? Yes No", but in the end it manages to scan the pc.
When the problem disappears in IE and Outlook, it also disappears in Norton Antivirus too.
I have a laptop with XP, IE 6.0 (in the Add/Remove programs it says: IE Q867801), I have some quick updated for SP2.
I have run 2 antiviruses (Norton and RAV online), Ad-aware and Hijackthis and there are no problems.
Someone did a defrag on my pc 3 days before the problems appeared, but I don't think there is any connection.
On an Italian forum I found someone who had the same problem, one year ago. The answers he got were to use a different browser (but I need IE for the site I work with). He answered me and told me to backup my pc, as some days after the same thing happened to him, his computer crashed :-(
Sorry for talking too much, I just wanted to give all the details.
Thank you very much,
Anna who wants to avoid reformat :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:27 AM

Have you tried scanning for malware/spyware/virus'? You sound pretty computer lit. If not try these, if I may suggest.

AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
cCleaner

Only use one of the AV.
Good luck and welcome to BC.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 thatsme

thatsme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:27 AM

Dear Acklan,
thank you for your answer and for your welcome :-)
I learned a little bit about computers the hard way, that is by having problems with pc's ;-)
I have performed an antivirus scan with Norton (I have it on my computer) and with RAV antivirus (online). They found nothing.
I have also downloaded the AVG software, but I haven't installed it yet. Should I close Norton when AVG runs? Once I downloaded Kaspersky and the pc got out of control (probably for the incompatibility with Norton).
I have scanned the pc with Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad Aware, Ccleaner and Spybot and I told these programs to clean what they found.
The last one, Spbybot S&D, found some things from Alexa and Fasst Search and deleted it, but it also found:

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3315381825-4218338824-446447128-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

which it couldn't delete (even if I told him to). I repeated the scan but this things still appear.

I have also run an Ewido online scan, which found cookies. Some of them appear under

:mozilla.[number]:C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\b3cxmk76.slt\cookies.txt

and I haven't seen this path for cookies before (as far as I know, they usually appear under C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies, and I don't understand what is this Mozilla on my pc)

Today I have managed to open everything all right, but I don't know if it just happened (sometimes it just happens) or if it is a result of the controls I've performed. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks a lot,
Anna

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:18 AM

If you have not read the pinned POST about DSO exploit please that the time. You May find it's what you need.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1190/dso-exploits/

Yes turn Norton off while using any other AV program. I uninstalled MacAfee in favor of AVG. I find Norton and MacAfee both a heavy drain on resources. Good luck.

Edited by acklan, 10 October 2005 - 06:21 AM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:50 AM

I have also run an Ewido online scan, which found cookies. Some of them appear under

:mozilla.[number]:C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\b3cxmk76.slt\cookies.txt

and I haven't seen this path for cookies before (as far as I know, they usually appear under C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies, and I don't understand what is this Mozilla on my pc)

Are you using Mozilla, or Firefox as a browser?
That's where it's probably coming from.
Application Data is a hidden file.
If your computer is not set to see hidden files, and folders, you won't see it.
How to see hidden files in Windows
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 thatsme

thatsme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:41 PM

Dear Acklan and Tg1911,
thank you for your answers.
For Acklan: I have run an AVG antivirus, which found "java/byteverify", but this morning the Norton Antivirus had already told me that "javasys.exe is trying to access the internet". I have received this message before, every now and then, and each time I told Norton to block it. I also checked on the Internet if it is a legit program and found out it was a virus, but I was convinced it was not on my pc, as Norton kept telling me everything was clean.
Now my computer seems clean. Today I have turned it on 4 times and there were no problems, hope it is resolved. I have gone to the DSO thread you suggested and downloaded the updated version of Spybot, and after one check, the second one was completely clean and the DSO stuff didn't appear any more.
For Tg1911: I have found Mozilla under C:\document and settings\user\Mozilla. My pc came with IE and I added Netscape, just in case, but I don't think it came with Firefox by default. Under Mozilla there are several folders and in one of them I found a html page with my bookmarks imported from IE, but I never exported them. Mistery of the misteries! The pc's settings are to show hidden files.
Thank you all for your help and I'll keep you posted. I want to hope the problems is solved :-)
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart,
Anna

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

:thumbsup: Glad to help.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

Under Mozilla there are several folders and in one of them I found a html page with my bookmarks imported from IE, but I never exported them.

During Mozilla setup, IE favorites can be imported.
In your Mozilla file, do you have a Mozilla.exe?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#9 thatsme

thatsme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:01 AM

Dear All,
another (half a) day without problems :thumbsup: When I turn on the pc, I keep my fingers crossed (but it makes typing difficult ;-)
For Tg 1911: under c:\documents and settings\user\application data\ there is a folder Mozilla, inside it there is another folder Profiles, inside which there is another folder Default, inside which there is another folder b3cxmk76.slt (wait a minute, I'm out of breath). In this last folder there are several files (most of them have the extension .rdf and one of them is called netscapetoolbar.rdf) and 2 more folders, Cache and Chrome, but no mozilla.exe. That's why I think I don't have the browser installed. When I found the html page with the imported bookmarks, one of the links took me to the netscape site, so maybe it has something to do with Netscape.
Thank you again and, if things continue to work well, I'll be back in a few days to post a kind of "wrapping", that is: "I used the programmes indicated by Acklan and the problem was solved."
All the best,
Anna
PS I see you both are from Louisiana, hope that now everything is ok there.

#10 thatsme

thatsme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hello again,
I just wanted to let you know that one week has passed and everything is ok, I surely hope it will continue that way. Just to sum up, for those who might have the same problem (error 30 and error 40) and maybe come across this page: I followed Acklan's advice and used:
cCleaner, Ewido Security Suite, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, Spybot, AdAware SE Personal Edition and AVG Free Edition Antivirus (the links are in Acklan's post). One of them (even if I don't know which one) solved the problem and I'm soooooo happy :-)
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart,
Anna

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

Now that you know, help someone else. Fair enough? :thumbsup:

Edited by acklan, 18 October 2005 - 05:29 PM.

#12 sanjeev

sanjeev

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:46 PM

Dear Acklan,

I had similar kind of problem in my PC like
- when I open the Internet Explorer browser and I go to a search engine, I can't write anything in the search box. If I want to login on different sites, I can't write in the "username" and "password" boxes. If the pc automatically inserts my username and password, when I want to send mail from an online account, I can't write in the boxes "to", "subject" and in the body of the mail.
- when I try using Service Console I get Error like "An error has occurred in this dialog:- Error: 30 Unspecified Error"

I tried using all the spywares listed in your post tried running the AVG Anti-Virus.
Although spywares fixed few problems like left out registry entries during some programme's uninstallation and other few stuff like that.

But the problem has not been fixed... I've been searching net from last 2-3 days coz of these problems..

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Sanjeev

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:49 PM

sanjeev,
Please start your own topic, listing as many details of your problem, as you can.
If you need help as to how to start a topic, please refer to this post:
How To Create A Topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users