Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXTREMELY Slow Starts & CPU maxed out @ 100%

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ctdannyd

ctdannyd

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

Running Windows XP Pro w/ all the latest updates (I have auto update on and always install any items reported to me.).

I have 1Gig of memory (max for this laptop). I'm running the most current version of the Norton Security Suite and it's set to automatically update itself.

The problem that is occuring is that most of the time, lately, when I start the machine up, or wake it, it will take forever and in fact it can take so long (an hour or longer), that I just shut it down and try later.

I can sometimes get into windows, and then bring up the Task Manager and see that the CPU is maxed out. Also, of the running processes, usually it will show taskmgr.exe running at around 80%.

So, I will attempt multiple reboots, and will get it running after a time. Once it's going at normal speed, it's fine.

I had though that it might have been the HD going, so I replace it and still no change.

I also wanted to test the hardware and was able to boot up Linux Mint (not loaded on HD) for hours with not problem.

Tell me what you need from me AND, thanks in advance.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users