Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Start Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skrep

skrep

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

My computer with WIndows XP Pro had been running fine until I shut it down and tried to restart. It gets to almost the point where I log in and then it shuts down and goes through the restart again. I am basically a novice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

When you start up go into SAFE MODE. Press F8 when your computer is booting. If it will let you get to the Boot Menu try the Step by step confirmation to see where it is hanging. Just answer YES until it stops. Write down the prccess that it stops on and post a reply here. You may want to reboot after it hangs and answer NO to that proccess to see if that is the only one stopping you start up.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 blondshell

blondshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:15 PM

Hi! I'm having the same problem! I just downloaded Windows Updates & Zone Alarm trial version & now my computer keeps cycling a restart!

I took your advice for a F8 reboot, but it only asks me from which drive should it reboot. ?? Do I have to pull out my emergency disk and reboot from that? (Not that I have a clue how to do that).

Yikes! :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:27 AM

Hhhmmm... You should have a menu with 6 options.

Safe mode
Safe mode with network support
Safe mode with command line only
Step by step confirmation
Normal start up
reboot

#5 blondshell

blondshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

Interesting. The F8 key only gives me the option to reboot. Perhaps I hit it twice (I'm a bit impatient, and don't want to miss the window (no pun intended) of oppty to get to this screen). Any other 'F' keys that might help? F1 didn't seem to get me anywhere.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:38 AM

I wa 50/50 right wrong. I gave you the options for win 98, but you should have had several other options.

#7 blondshell

blondshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

I wa 50/50 right wrong. I gave you the options for win 98, but you should have had several other options.

I tried other keys during start-up and found the F4 key would enable me to get to safe mode. From here I could revert to a recovery point prior to downloading the software. Problem solved, my computer is functional again!

Thanks for your help!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: F4??

0 user(s) are reading this topic