Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RTL8187 Access Point - no connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eirik

eirik

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hi.

I have a pc with a Asus P5K-E Wifi motherboard, running Windows 7 64-bit.

I connect to the internet using a broadband modem, and I have to dial my connection to be connected. I have Comodo Internet Firewall installed.

I think the wifi chip on the Asus mobo is a Realtek RTL8187, and I have downloaded the latest driver.

Through the Realtek Wireless LAN Utility, I can activate an Access Point mode, I have selected Setting Internet Connection Sharing, and Public network: WAN Miniport PPPOE.

Everything seems to be working fine, and my ipod and laptops always finds the network, but with limited or no connectivity.

I turned off the firewall and I could connect to the internet. But after 2 minutes it didn't work again. No settings changed.

I have tried to restart everything, and I still keep my firewall turned off, in case it creates problems.

The WLAN is found immideately and connects, but I can't surf the internet.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

i do not see the realtek chip mentioned in your manual for Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP motherboard. Also there is no driver for windows 7. There is a driver for both 32bit and 64bit windows vista. I would try one of those. Also wireless must be enabled in BIOS.

#3 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi.

As far as I know the Asus P5K-E/Wifi board came with the realtek chipset, and this is also recognized by Windows 7.

Realtek has released a driver for windows 7: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...s=true#RTL8187L

As I explained, I can set up the realtek Wireless LAN utility, and connect my laptops/ipod to it through the wireless, so I guess it has been turned on in Bios.

I was even able to use my ipod to surf the internet, but only for 10 seconds.. then no more. And only when I turned off my firewall.

I have noticed that the Life time of my connection seems to be reset to 20:00 all the time, maybe I have done something wrong in my setup? The network is available all the time, but my internet not. And on my desktop computer, on which I have my internet connection, I can access internet all the time.

Posted Image

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

by default windows 7 requires you to use a password to join the (home)network, (this is not WEP or WPA key for wireless security) have you added the password to your devices ? or you can disable password protection in the advanced settings.

#5 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. There was a good tutorial here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/s...ndows-7-and-xp/

Yesterday I installed the latest update of the Comodo Firewall, the Comodo Internet Security 4, and when I started the Access point software I allowed all access, and voila - now I could connect my ipod!

#6 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

Looks like I celebrated too early.

I have made no changes to my computer since it worked, and now the Access point doesn't work ... It seems to reset the Life Time all the time, and I can't get internet connection.

What can cause this behaviour?

I disabled my Wifi access point, and enabled it again, and then Comodo put this question to me:

Posted Image

This allthough I accepted it yesterday, and allowed all access. Maybe it gets a new ip-address each time, and I have to repeat this?

Anyway, turned off my Firewall completely, and I can surf through my wireless access point again. This obviously is not a good configuration.

Does anyone know how to set up Comodo correctly?

Cheers,Eirik

Edited by eirik, 12 June 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

first off, all firewalls and security should be disabled until the network is up and stable.

your broadband modem is plugged into your built in ethernet card, ICS is enabled and this device is set to obtain an IP automatically. since you "dial up" this adapter is receiving a different IP from your service provider, thats OK.

now you need a fixed point for other devices to connect. that will be your wireless adapter. set a fixed IP for this adapter, say 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway <leave empty >. this will now become the default gateway for the other devices.

other devices(clients) obtain IP automatically , add gateway 192.168.0.1 to configuration.

test. if all is working then you can start to add security.

#8 stuboy

stuboy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

I too have had exactly the same problem, in AP mode, i have tried both drivers from the Realtek site 8187L & 8187B.
I get the same result with both:-
I am able to connect and get on the internet with no encryption enabled, however i cannot join a homegroup.
With encryption enabled i cannot connect at all!
I have logged a issue on the asus web site i await a reply from them.
Has anyone that has managed to get this to work?
Regards
Stu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users