Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

userint32.exe - W32.ALLIM virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shorttimer231

shorttimer231

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:19 AM

:thumbsup: Operating System: Windows XP Home edition. Anit-Virus Software: Norton Anti-Virus 2005, ver 11.0.9.16. I received the W32.ALLIM virus many weeks ago. Norton appeared to remove the exe (userint32.exe) before I even knew I had it. Sounds good, eh? However, I noticed that whenever I logged onto the system, it would take a long time, eventually producing an error that the "userint32.exe could not be found." I would select "Ok" and continue on as ususal. I did a little research and found that file associated with the W32.ALLIM virus, but of course, the user32int.exe file no longer existed on my system. Thus, the error. In an effort to speed up my login process and remove the "not found" error, I attempted to edit the registry file to remove any references to the user32int.exe file... Yikes!!!! What resulted was my inability to log into my system at all! The login screen would come up, I would select my username (I have three children, each with their own accounts), enter my password and the screen would just blink and return to the login screen. I purposely entered a bad password, and the system asked me if I forgot it, so I knew I had entered it correctly on the previous attempts. Fortunately, one of my children was already logged on and I was able to use the system recovery feature to restore my registry and log back in. Today, I attempted to log on and again get the quick flash and back to the log in screen. I did not edit the registry and everyone else in the house are strictly "users", and wouldn't know how or even what the registry file is. Does anyone know the "proper" way to remove the W32.ALLIM virus? I am going to use system restore again, going back two weeks and pray that I can get in again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

Follow the procedures here Please read carefully and thuroughly.

quote name='shorttimer231' date='Oct 9 2005, 09:19 AM' post='177444']
:thumbsup: Operating System: Windows XP Home edition. Anit-Virus Software: Norton Anti-Virus 2005, ver 11.0.9.16. I received the W32.ALLIM virus many weeks ago. Norton appeared to remove the exe (userint32.exe) before I even knew I had it. Sounds good, eh? However, I noticed that whenever I logged onto the system, it would take a long time, eventually producing an error that the "userint32.exe could not be found." I would select "Ok" and continue on as ususal. I did a little research and found that file associated with the W32.ALLIM virus, but of course, the user32int.exe file no longer existed on my system. Thus, the error. In an effort to speed up my login process and remove the "not found" error, I attempted to edit the registry file to remove any references to the user32int.exe file... Yikes!!!! What resulted was my inability to log into my system at all! The login screen would come up, I would select my username (I have three children, each with their own accounts), enter my password and the screen would just blink and return to the login screen. I purposely entered a bad password, and the system asked me if I forgot it, so I knew I had entered it correctly on the previous attempts. Fortunately, one of my children was already logged on and I was able to use the system recovery feature to restore my registry and log back in. Today, I attempted to log on and again get the quick flash and back to the log in screen. I did not edit the registry and everyone else in the house are strictly "users", and wouldn't know how or even what the registry file is. Does anyone know the "proper" way to remove the W32.ALLIM virus? I am going to use system restore again, going back two weeks and pray that I can get in again.
[/quote]
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Include a couple online scanners.
Trend Micro Housecall: http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan
Panda ActiveScan: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 shorttimer231

shorttimer231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:20 PM

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

#5 The Beard

The Beard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

Follow the procedures here Please read carefully and thuroughly.

quote name='shorttimer231' date='Oct 9 2005, 09:19 AM' post='177444']

I had exactly the same problem. Mine seemed to be remnants of an Oscabot-C worm which the user had cleaned. I found no evidence of the Allim virus. The userint32.exe file was gone and I got the startup error message that it could not be found. I cleaned the registry and had the same problem! Couldn't log in - it would cycle to "logging in" then "saving your settings" and logging back out. The computer did have the "Mytob" worm. I got the cleaning tool from Symantec and cleaned it: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ytob.ch@mm.html
Norton said to turn off system restore, so I could not go back to a previous setting, and did not have multiple accounts to log into. I put the XP home CD in and booted from it and did a "repair" when it found the installation and prompted me what kind of install to do. When Windows came back up, I had a blank desktop (At least it logged in!!). I did a Cntl-Alt-Dlt to get task manager up, did a "file-new task-run" and typed "explorer" to get my desktop back. I ran a Norton scan and it came up clean. Service pack 2 was not installed on this computer, so I installed it. There was still a logon delay caused bt the damage done to Mcafee's crap installed on this Dell. After fixing that, all worked great!

Edited by Scarlett, 30 January 2006 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users