Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 and Search Redirect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VRobinson

VRobinson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have an infection and have been unable to get rid of it. I have McAfee as my antivirus and the subscription has been up-to-date. I have run everything I could find in trying to get rid of this. It includes Malwarebytes, AdAware, Spybot, and others that I have since forgotten. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
-Vernon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

Follow these instructions and run TDSSKiller
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller

#3 VRobinson

VRobinson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Before I do this, I need some additional confirmation. I did not get all of the warnings mentioned in the TDDSKiller instructions. I am getting Browser Redirects. That much I can see. I am not sure if they are stealing data off my machine or using it for something else. So I guess I am asking for confirmation before moving forward with these instructions.

Thanks,
-Vernon

#4 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

The instructions there are for two things.Firstly DR Guard which i know you are not infected with.However it also mentions TDSS rootkit,the major symptoms of which are browser redirects.It is up to you whether to follow my advice as i can only offer recommendations
Below are links to a couple of threads i posted to very recently which had the same symptoms and TDSSkiller solved the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322846/my-antivirus-keeps-blocking-access-to-sites-i-never-try-to-visit-including-j00k877xcc/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322460/firefox-hijacker/

#5 VRobinson

VRobinson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Trollocks,
Thanks for the tip. It seems to have done the trick. I applied TDSSKiller, and it found a file DMDriver.exe that was infected. It has been a few days now and the browser redirects are gone. Please do not misinterpret my previous query for confirmation. When I read the symptoms listed with using this utility, it seemed to indicate another additional set of problems, with mine being a minor one. Couple that with the warning of mis-application of solutions that abound in the forum, well I was being cautious. I did not want to make a bad situation worst. I hope you understand.

Thanks immensely for the help.

Regards,
-Vernon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users