Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recieved KillAV.ASF found by AVG durring Ad-Aware Scan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tbone14534

tbone14534

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hello, this is my first post on these forums.

My Dell Dimension running windows XP home has been slow for a while but recently AV Security showed up. I was able to successfully remove it thanks to the help I found on this site and have been trying to restore some of the speed. I have run Super Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes, and a complete AVG scan without finding anything else. I had a lot of trouble installing and running Ad-Aware but after it finally began to run I got a threat detected message from AVG saying KillAV.ASF found. The process name listed is AAWService.exe. Is this because I am running AD-Aware with my AVG turned on or do I have another issue? What should my next steps be?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Info only: http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md...05b3fce5c3b1258

I will move this thread to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

It appears to be the latter.. aawservice.exe file runs as a service as part of Adaware spyware remover.
The correct program is located at C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
If it's in another location then it would be a malware.

Remove AdAware and see. Personnally with MBAM and SAS along with AVG,I think that is enough. Rescan wuth AVG form Safe mode
How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users