Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Facebook

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your help!

I have a problem with someone at the office I work in (very small - 4 computers) and they are constantly viewing inappropriate media and spending a lot of time on facebook. The computers are Windows XP (Professional, Version 2002, SP3) and I have pretty much been assigned to block the inappropriate sites from all computers so he can not view them.

I thought I had blocked these sites through the Content Advisor (Tools >>Internet Options >>Contents >>Content Advisors >>Settings >>Entered Password >>Approved Sites). I typed in the sites that I want to block and hit "Never" (allow).

I tried to go to the restricted site and it prompted me for a password. I was very satisfied that I was able to thwart the attempt and went on with my day. Then I watched to see what would happen when the subject in question entered the office and went to www.facebook.com. He was prompted with a password, grunted and closed the window. About an hour later I looked back and saw him open www.google.com. He typed in "Facebook" and googled. One more click and he was signing onto facebook.

So, my question is this; Can one COMPLETELY block a website? Do I have to also block search engines?

My fear is that he will be on the adult sites that caused a very horrible series of viruses that caused his computer to completely be wiped out (had to have it reformatted).

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Please keep in mind that I am not an IT expert...just a bit better than average knowledge.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

Try this: Microsoft Steady State

Windows SteadyState User Restrictions
Take control of your shared computer with SteadyState restrictions

Protect your shared computer by customizing what users can do on it. Windows SteadyState puts you in control of which programs, features, disk drives, and websites are available to each user. For the inexperienced user, your computer will be more consistent and less complex. For an untrusted user, you can initiate enhanced security features on your computer.

Start Menu restrictions let you remove items from the Start Menu. This means you can disable user access to items such as:

* Shut Down
* Control Panel
* Command Prompt
* Windows Explorer

Drive restrictions determine which drives are visible to the user in My Computer. You can select the option to hide all drives, show all drives, or select specific drives that you do not want exposed to the user. These include printers or removable storage devices.

Program restrictions let you block a user from running a particular program, such as a system tool, simply by adding that program to the blocked list.

Feature restrictions can stop users from accessing program attributes that might damage or clutter the computer. For example, you can prevent users from adding to the Clip Organizer, creating Microsoft Office macros, using Visual Basic, or saving Internet Explorer favorites.

Internet restrictions let you set the Internet Explorer home page, and you can block access to any Internet site not specifically listed as allowed.

#3 smssoleimani

smssoleimani

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

whatever you end up doing to block undesirable websites your going to also want to prevent users from trying to use something called a circumventor. this is basically a site where you enter blocked sites to get access to them. it gets around website blockers so you may want to be a step ahead of them and block them from any hopes they may have of reaching facebook, myspace, etc.

for example:

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...G=Google+Search

best of luck.

#4 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hmmm....not sure that SteadyState will be a good option for me. It seems like I have to be quite careful with the settings.

Microsoft also reccomends pretty much trashing the whole system and starting fresh. I really don't have time for that. I think this would have been a better option to have this done in the begining but we never expected anything but responsible adults here :thumbsup: I wish I would have known about SteadyState months ago when the computers were new. Thank you for sharing that with me - I will keep that in mind as my last resort/drastic action.

I guess, like everyone in the world is, I'm looking for a quick fix. I can't be positive but I dont think the guy knows anything about circumventers or any sort of Ninja IT moves...

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

A quick fix would be to add facebook.com to the hosts file like so:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

On each computer.

#6 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

oh wow, you lost me there....can you explain how to do that? sorry, I wish I knew what you were talking about :thumbsup:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

You navigate to the following directory:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

In there will be a hosts file

right click on it then select properties and uncheck read-only.

Right click again on the file, and select Open and it will bring up a dialog box asking what you want to do, select the second options and hit okay.

Look for notepad in the list, and double click it.

You will need to do this as administrator or an account with admin rights.

Add the above listed line to it as is, and hit file then save.

now all requests to facebook.com will lead to the local computer or the computer you are on.

After you save the file, then right click on it again, and make it read-only

Edited by cryptodan, 10 June 2010 - 11:46 AM.

#8 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

I googled how to do it and found it, thank you! I blocked facebook on my own machine as a test and it worked. Now I just have to wait for him to leave and I can block it on his as well.

And, it seems obvious to me but just to clarify - all he has to do to get back on facebook is to delete the host addition, save, and he is able to browse to facebook? Hopefully he wont figure it out but we'll see...

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

I googled how to do it and found it, thank you! I blocked facebook on my own machine as a test and it worked. Now I just have to wait for him to leave and I can block it on his as well.

And, it seems obvious to me but just to clarify - all he has to do to get back on facebook is to delete the host addition, save, and he is able to browse to facebook? Hopefully he wont figure it out but we'll see...

Make his account a limited one, and he wont be able to do any thing to the hosts file.

You can do this via the User Account Control Panel in Control Panel.

Edited by cryptodan, 10 June 2010 - 11:54 AM.

#10 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Wonderful! Thank you - I completely forgot about that!

One other quick thing - In the host file it should say

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

and not

127.0.0.2 www.facebook.com

right? I was watching a tutorial on youtube that showed how to edit it and they said to always start out on the next number. When I blocked it on my machine it gave me the page that I would usually get when the internet was down or what not. Does it matter if i use 127.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.2?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

use 127.0.0.1

Also add it without the www.

use 127.0.0.1 facebook.com

#12 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

Thank you so much! I will add it when he's out and let you know how it goes. Should I set up a camera to see his shocked face? :thumbsup:

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Just tell him facebook is down for scheduled maintenance.

#14 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

:thumbsup:

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

A few years ago, I found a billing clerk was spending 6+ hours a day on EBay. Editing that HOSTS file and changing ebay.com to 216.239.51.99 (Google's homepage) flumoxed her completely.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users