Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C# Audio Project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

I have a project which I don't feel too confident about and just need a few pointers to get me started.

The objective is to create a program where an audio file can be input, the software will analyse it and then something visual will be output relating to the audio depending on certain factors of it. It can be seen similar to that of Microsofts Windows Media Player where the visuals will relate to the audio being played.

I have some experience of how to program in C# with Visual Studio however I am not quite advanced and am not too sure where to start.

I have been told it would be beneficial to look into the following two things, Open Graphics Library and Matlab - could anyone show me any good resources for these please?

If anyone could point me in the direction of useful websites for this task I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for reading,

Matt.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

That's actually a very complicated problem. I'd start by taking a look at Fast Fourier Transforms, which will allow you to process the input file to find the "beats" that are in the music, and other types of audio information.

I'd not bother starting with the graphics part yet -- if you want it synced to the music, first you need to ensure you are actually synced to it. You can then attach whatever graphical niceness you want to your "music synchronizer".
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Matt169

Matt169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thanks! I know I am quite confused on where to begin but hopefully will be able to manage to get something.

Matt.

That's actually a very complicated problem. I'd start by taking a look at Fast Fourier Transforms, which will allow you to process the input file to find the "beats" that are in the music, and other types of audio information.

I'd not bother starting with the graphics part yet -- if you want it synced to the music, first you need to ensure you are actually synced to it. You can then attach whatever graphical niceness you want to your "music synchronizer".

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

You can learn some stuff from Project M
http://projectm.sourceforge.net/

#5 Matt169

Matt169