Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell battery issue after swapping HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xJimba1

xJimba1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hello all, I have a crazy issue where the customer brought me a Dell Inspiron 1526 with a bad HD. I swapped the HD, loaded her version of Vista as well as the Dell drivers, but once turned on I realized the battery was not charging. The battery of course shows at 0% plugged in not charging. I tried with a different charger with the same outcome. Of course the customer said her battery was fine when she gave it to me and in this case I think I believe her, but I am at a loss. Any kind of battery software shows the battery as good, but won't show any charge. I believe even the dell diagnostic page said it was a healthy battery (my memory is bad). I am thinking I must have forgotten something on the reload but I dont know what. I also removed the battery and scan for new hardware search which added it back, but didnt fix the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Do you have a Multimeter you can use to test the battery and see if its charged or not. How old is the battery, could be bad timing and it may just be dead. If a NIMH battery is completely depleted or shows no voltage then its toast.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 xJimba1

xJimba1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the reply! I do have a multimeter and I will certainly give that a shot tonight. Bad timing usually doesn't go too far with customers as Im sure you all know. I believe the laptop and battery are over 4 years old, so she got her moneys worth out of it. I will post my findings tonight. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users