Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moon2

moon2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

For about the last week or so, maybe less, I have been having problems with windows explorer crashing.

The first problem arose when I was playing a computer..actually it didn't say it was windows explorer, it just said that the program stopped working. Then a window popped up telling me to update windows..I'm pretty sure I have.

But now,for maybe the last 3 days or so, it has been windows explorer crashing. If I try to right-click anything..such as to empty recycle bin, try to delete files, right-clicking the big windows button on the bottom left etc., Windows explorer will crash, will restart, then I again get the pop up window telling me to update windows. Once I close that the Security Center opens.

I am still able to right-click the taskbar at the bottom of my screen though.

Below is an example of error message which I found in the Problems reports and Solutions window that popped up.

1) This is the error when I was trying to play a game:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dominic.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18215
Fault Module Timestamp: 49953395
Exception Code: 0eedfade
Exception Offset: 000442eb
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 352a
Additional Information 2: ef0e514f692e1105dbad30545c9b4422
Additional Information 3: f7f4
Additional Information 4: fadb89c62e4bb18fd54f569a879f1f67

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1885867473

2) This is the error relating to Windows Explorer itself:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18164
Application Timestamp: 4907e242
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1028622805

I checked all errors regarding the games, and they all seemed to be the exact same error.

I checked every instance of Windows Explorer crashing, and again, each instance had the same error information.

Another problem as mentioned in the title, and probably unrelated...FireFox is terribly slow and takes up a good chunk of my memory..has been for quite sometime and I have no idea why.

If anyone can help me, especially regarding Windows Explorer, I would be so grateful.

Thank you.

Edit: I would just like to mention that the other problems that I had posted about some time ago have been resolved...and I thank you for your help. I don't think this is related..I hope.

Edited by moon2, 10 June 2010 - 03:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moon2

moon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

Sorry for a second post so soon, I'm not being impatient just wanted to add some things...

I have been trying to search around for any kind of solution on the internet, seems a lot of people are having/have had this issue. Seems every instance is unique as well. Also, I did find there are windows updates that I need, however, reading through the various forums on this issue I am afraid to. 1) Because many people are unable to restart their computer after a reboot, and 2) People have said that when they try to install the updates, they find that any updates that are available are not for their system..very strange.

This is getting very frustrating and I'm getting somewhat nervous that it could be something major. I cannot do anything in regards to windows explorer. Even trying to clean out the recent items from the start menu causes windows explorer to crash.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

Thank you so much.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

Is your computer fully updated?

I would start to perform some windows updates as well as driver updates.

#4 moon2

moon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hi cryptodan, ty for the reply.

I believe there are updates that need to be installed, but some are for microsoft works and such things that came with the computer..thee programs or only trila versions and I don't use them. SHould I choose to install those updates as well?

Also, the "optional" updates include one for my monitor and for my graphic card. Since these are "optional" should I bother with those?

I just want to make sure I don't install updates that aren't really essential as well possibly installing some that may be bad.

As I mentioned, I'm afraid to reboot because I've read that people have been unable to restart windows after a reboot.

I know I sound a little paranoid, but I have a bad history with computers..I'm just trying to be cautious.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

Update the Microsoft Programs with Windows Updates, and go to your hardware vendors sites for your monitor and video card drivers. You should always keep things updated regardless of their version.

#6 moon2

moon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:09 AM

Hi :huh:

Thanks so much.

I have been researching more, and many people have offered up the cause with windows explorer to be a bad shell extension...one in particular cnvshell.dll.

I downloaded ShellexView and noticed this shell extension.In the advice I read,it stated to systematically disable each non-Microsoft shell extension until the culprit was found. I went ahead and disabled this cnvshell.dll on my first try and the right-click was solved..I hope.

My question is:
Can I leave this extension disabled, or do I need to somehow find a replacement. Also, I don't know if this was the cause of the computer games not functioning. I uninstalled them long ago.

I do want to try to play these games again, but if I encounter the same problem with getting an error stating that the game has stopped working even with this cnvshell disabled, what could possibly be the problem?

If the problem with windows explorer crashing starts again, then what could it be?

Edited by moon2, 11 June 2010 - 05:14 AM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Do you have fCoder Image Editing Software on your computer?

#8 moon2

moon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry for not replying until now. I had no idea there were any more replies since I had not received any email alerts...no idea why I stopped getting them :huh:

No, I had uninstalled that software. Since disabling that shell extension, I have had no problems at all with Windows Explorer, however, I have started getting those same errors while playing games again.

Everything is fine for awhile, the games run smoothly and without problems, then all of a sudden they crash and I get an error stating that the program has encountered an error and needs to close. There is no record of the crashes in Problems Reports and Solutions,The security Center no longer opens when that happens.

I just don't understand what the problem could be? Nothing else is running while I play the games.

I suppose this is another topic so feel free to move it if need be. I just hope someone can help me figure this out :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users