Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow connection, can't find any spyware!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 confusedchris

confusedchris

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:17 AM

Hi,

I have a very typical problem - i.e. slow connection even though i'm on broadband with theoretically 2048 kbps.

I have run a test to see the speed of my connection using http://perftest.cablecom.ch/ (austrian website, language in German!) and the result is 1923 kbps. this seems good, so why do some pages take ages (30 seconds in some cases) to download?

I have run Adaware and Spybot Search & Destry, and don't find anything strange. I have Norton Antivirus 2005 installed so I would have thought my system is reasonably secure.

I am using a wireless connection, but the transfer speed should be 11 mbps - as I understand there is no way that the wireless connection can be causing a 'bottleneck' in the system (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I'd really appreciate any help, since this slow connection is really irritating!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:00 AM

Have you cleaned out your temp internet files/cookies/history, lately?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

Depending on your computer NAV 2005 could be your problem. It is a resource hog. Try disabling it and go to the same sites. Don't stop use it just turn it off to test and see if it is the source of the slow down.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

Have you tried a different browser?
It might be a useful to check your speed at several sites during different times. A good test is found at DSL Reports:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 confusedchris

confusedchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:20 AM

Hey John, acklan and tg1911!

Thanks for your suggestions guys - I really appreciate it.

acklan - what is NAV 2005? Can I just temporarily disable it using the windows task manager? I´ll try it.

tg1911 - yep, I clean that stuff out all the time.

John - you mean a browser like Mozilla? I´ll try it. I´ll also try that DSL Reports test (when I get home from work - sitting in the office at the moment!)

Also, would it be a good idea for me to make a log using ´HijackThis´ to see if anything strange is knocking around in there?

Thanks again,

regards
Chris

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:55 AM

acklan - what is NAV 2005?

Norton Antivirus 2005

Also, would it be a good idea for me to make a log using ´HijackThis´ to see if anything strange is knocking around in there?

It couldn't hurt.
That way, you can eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware, being the cause of your problem.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users