Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New machine, but 2 problems.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Goomba

Goomba

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hello there.

My PSU recently went out on my last computer and instead of replacing it, I just decided to get a new computer all together. It's a pretty good computer with a lot of up to date parts, but it seems that it is absence in wireless internet, which is odd considering that this computer is new.

I was going to just get a USB wireless adapter to fix this problem, but I decided to look up my network adapter (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) to see if it actually did come with wireless and I just needed drivers or something.

Anyway, I found the forum post of this guy on another website who had this very adapter and was saying how his wireless suddenly quit working, leading me to speculate if my computer actually came with wireless functions.

Can anybody confirm that this network adapter has wireless and I don't have to buy a USB adapter?

The other thing is me transferring my info from my old hard drive to my new computer (I know this should go in "Internal Hardware", but I figured it convenient to include both predicaments in one post).

My original plan was to replace the hard drive that came with the computer with my old one and transfer all of my needed documents and what not to my external hard drive. Then I would put the new hard drive back in and transfer everything back from the external the the internal. However, when I booted up on my old hard drive, it kept restarting after the BIOS screen, the Windows Logo didn't even come up.

I was wondering if I could replace the CD drive with my old hard drive and use it as a temporary secondary hard drive to transfer the data to my external. I think the cables are the same, but I'm wondering if they might be routed to another part of the motherboard only for CD/DVD drive. Any confirmation on this as well?

Much thanks,
Goomba.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

1. Assuming this is a desktop PC, if there isn't a wireless adapter (USB/PCI) of some kind installed, I doubt the "wireless connectivity" part.
It might just be a generic Realtek Ethernet (NIC) card.

Solution: Get a USB Wireless adapter OR settle for a wired router/modem.

2. Configure the new drive(with the OS) as the Primary (master) device, the older drive as a secondary (slave) device [IDE drives require you to change the jumper] and confirm the same in the BIOS screen. Now, boot up from the new drive and it should show you the contents of the old hard drive. Transfer it all!
There are other options, but this is the fastest way out.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 09 June 2010 - 09:12 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

1. Assuming this is a desktop PC, if there isn't a wireless adapter (USB/PCI) of some kind installed, I doubt the "wireless connectivity" part.
It might just be a generic Realtek Ethernet (NIC) card.

Solution: Get a USB Wireless adapter OR settle for a wired router/modem.

2. Configure the new drive(with the OS) as the Primary (master) device, the older drive as a secondary (slave) device [IDE drives require you to change the jumper] and confirm the same in the BIOS screen. Now, boot up from the new drive and it should show you the contents of the old hard drive. Transfer it all!
There are other options, but this is the fastest way out.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Alright, I will get a wireless adapter then.

Now, for the second part.

So I couldn't just replace the CD drive temporarily? I'm not sure I have extra cables for another hard drive included in the new machine. (SATA)

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

So I couldn't just replace the CD drive temporarily? I'm not sure I have extra cables for another hard drive included in the new machine. (SATA)

If this is a temporary setup, why not just leave the side panel open, rest the second HDD outside, on a clean surface/object and carry on with the transfer. I mean, why bother going through the process of removing the CD drive, right?

#5 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:15 AM

If this is a temporary setup, why not just leave the side panel open, rest the second HDD outside, on a clean surface/object and carry on with the transfer. I mean, why bother going through the process of removing the CD drive, right?

I would do that, but I don't think there are more cables for a secondary hard drive, the rest just plug into the CD Drive, if I'm not mistaken.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

^ Well, how about the cables that were used in the old computer? for the older HDD?

Just to clarify, are both the old and new HDDs , SATA drives?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 June 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#7 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yes, I am pretty sure they are both SATA drives.

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

Oh ok, use the SATA cable from the old PC or buy one.
Cables are dirt cheap and might come in handy later.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 June 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#9 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

I'm not sure where my old PC is at the moment, but I will try that.

Just to absolutely confirm it though; it's really not a good idea to just temporarily replace the CD drive for one startup?

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

There are no issues with that. :thumbsup:

#11 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

There are no issues with that. :thumbsup:

Really? So it's not routed to another place in the motherboard, it will still read as a secondary hard drive?

If so, then I'd much rather use this method since it's only a temporary set up.

#12 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

Given that both are SATA HDs, this is what I'm proposing:

Posted Image

P.S: The two black wires are your power cables.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 15 June 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#13 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Wait, so by this picture you're telling me not to temporarily plug in the cables from the CD Drive into the secondary hard drive?

I am quite confused at the moment trying to understand this diagram.

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

^ I was confused myself, but you did say both are SATA drives, right?
If so, that's how the connections work out.

For SATA HDs, you use this:
Posted Image

temporarily plug in the cables from the CD Drive into the secondary hard drive?

PATA/IDE HDs use this:
Posted Image
To connect both primary(topmost connector) and secondary(connector below that) HDs.

Hope this clears it up. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 June 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#15 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:41 AM

Huh, okay. I guess I will just try replacing the CD drive temporarily since they seem to use the same connections.

Much thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users