Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell laptop screen suddenly has started showing only vertical horizontal lines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

What are the possible reasons that this could happen? Display is fine on external monitor, its the laptop lcd that shows only the lines.

How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

contact dell. i would think it is toast but you never know if they have had issues with your particular model and will do something about it. they can certainly supply a replacement LCD for a price.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

Yea, if it's out of warranty and you want to take a look inside I will suppose that the cable connector to the M.B. or the graphics card is lose. (it can happen)

Or the Ground for the monitor can be loose if your unit has a ground to the frame.

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

juicyboy,
okay i think ill check the cable and stuff, but if it is corroded or something where can I get a replacement for itm and is there a part # listed on the cable?

caperdog, I did contact dell already, but their only solution is to buy a new lcd screen with all the cables for a ton of money, mucch more than what the laptop cost

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Sorry It took me this long to reply :flowers:

Anyways you can't really get the cable that attaches the motherboard to the screen. You Would have to get a new screen.
When you took it out did you clean the connectors??

One of the reasons that this can happen is if you put something heavy on top of the laptop and damaged some of the components.

Either case I think the quick fix is to buy a new L.C.D. Don't buy it of the manufacturer they are to expensive. I always buy my stuff of third parties.

Just look for a reputable seller online that has your screen with a good return policy just in case.. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users