Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex GX150 will not boot past Dell Splash screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

The computer would originally freeze at the loading bar of the Dell splash screen. Some research indicated that it could be a BIOS problem, and I should just remove and replace the battery. I did, waiting about 10 minutes between pulling the battery out and putting it back in. The following message is generated when I turn the power on again.

The bar fills up, and then I'm presented with the following message on the next screen:

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1990-2001 Dell Computer Corporation
All Rights Reserved

Dell System OptiPlex GX150
www.dell.com

Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program.

Google tells me it was an issue with the CMOS and that I just have to press F2 at the start to go in and reconfigure the BIOS. The same error message repeats when I hold F2 to enter the BIOS setup. I can't run the setup program if it won't let me run the setup program.

What's my next step? I've seen some references to software that unlocks BIOS and hdd passwords that Dell used to use, but I haven't found a link for it. (There was never a BIOS password set on this computer to begin with, but I thought it might be relevant that there's something out there that Dell had at one point to tinker with the BIOS.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

My guess is that your CMOS battery is dying, needs replacement.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

Even if it were dying, wouldn't it still boot properly, with the only side effect being not holding BIOS settings like the clock or non-default boot order?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

Even if it were dying, wouldn't it still boot properly, with the only side effect being not holding BIOS settings like the clock or non-default boot order?

I would think the first indication would be that the system would not be keeping time correctly if it were a battery issue

Try removing the battery and unpluging it. Let it sit overnight to see if it drains the CMOS.
If you can get into setup then you might have to reconfigure a few BIOS settings and save them before exiting.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

I have seen this error before, and the ending result was a BIOS Flash and that solved the issue.

I would replace the battery anyways, and then flash the BIOS.

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I'm going to have to buy a new battery. Leaving the current one out for 24 hours did not resolve the issue.

If a new battery doesn't work, I'll have to go buy a usb-floppy. The only floppy drive I have is in the computer that's generating the error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users