Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro mobo not seeing SATA drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I've searched and haven't found this particular problem. So here goes.

Just installed a new ASUS M4A89GTD Pro motherboard, which supports 3.0 Gb/s. Two internal HDD, both SATA -- master drive is a Western Digital Caviar SE16, 750 gig, and the other is a Western Digital Caviar GP, 750 gig. The drives are unjumpered, so are running 3.0 Gb/s. I have Windows XP sp3 installed on the master drive.

Both these drives were working perfectly on my previous motherboard but now they are not recognized at all on boot. The system comes up, says "detecting hard drives", then doesn't find any drives. It then goes into BIOS. When I check my devices, it sees the master drive, but doesn't see the second drive. If I have my IDE DVD drive connected, it sees that drive, but no internal hard drives.

I have the drives plugged into SATA 1 and SATA 2 on the motherboard. The only one it sees is the first drive, even if I move the plugs around -- in other words, it only sees the drive plugged into the lowest numbered SATA port. Doesn't see the other one at all.

I don't hear the drives spin up at all. I have replaced the power cables and the SATA cables, but no dice. I've tried the drives in another machine, and they work fine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813131631

FWIW: You might read the customer reviews.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Is the SATA controller set up for SATA or IDE Emulation?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users