Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware sucks...help to remove...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 SpyVictim

SpyVictim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

Three weeks ago I bought a brand new computer with Windows XP operating system. I'm not sure what happened but I'm having major, MAJOR issues with spyware/adware at the moment. My ISP's spyware software cleaned several items but I'm stuck with three different spyware/adware items...They are:

Webhancer
SAH Agent
MidAdle

can anyone help me rid my computer of these?

Edited by SpyVictim, 08 October 2005 - 08:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

Now days you need four types of protection for your computer, anti-virus, anti-spyware, adware, and a firewall. Your can't depend on your ISP to protect you. There are many free programs out there, for example: anti-virus...AVG anti-spyware...Spyware Search and Distroy, anti-adware...AdAware, firewall...Zone Alarm.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SpyVictim

SpyVictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:44 PM

DUH....I'm aware of that. I don't expect my computer to just protect itself. I have ALL of those things and I was STILL infected with spyware/adware. I use the windows firewall, and my ISP provides anti-virus, anti-spyware/adware...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

Well DUH, include it in your information so that people don't have to read your juvy mind. The protection that your ISP provides isn't adequate. Good luck!

Edited by dc3, 08 October 2005 - 11:22 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:35 PM

Using words like "DUH", with people that are trying to help you, is not likely to get you much help around here.
These people are volunteers, who freely give of their time, to help people out.
dc3 was just trying to help.
How are we supposed to know, what you know, and don't know, you're a new member with 2 posts.
So please show a little respect to our members, and you will be more likely to receive the help you need.

That being said, the Windows firewall isn't that good.
It only blocks incoming traffic, not outgoing, which could cause an infected computer, to infect others.
ZoneAlarm, as dc3 suggested, and Sygate Personal Firewall, are the two, most recommended, around here.

As far as anti-spyware/adware/malware goes, one program will not take care of all of it.
It's a good idea to run several of these applications.
They all use different techniques to identify problems.
What one misses, the others might catch.
The programs I use are:
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Also, no antivirus will catch all of the viruses/worms/trojans that are out there.
That's why it's a good idea to run a couple of online scans, occasionally.
Here are a couple of good ones:
Online Virus scanners
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Online Trojan scanner
TrojanScan

If none of these solve your problems, I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will show you, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 SpyVictim

SpyVictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for your helpful info tg. I'll post a hijack this log and go from there. If it helps me accomplish what I need to, I'll happily make a donation to help keep the site going and show my appreciation.

I came on this site for suggestions on how to remove the three spyware/adware programs installed on my computer. I didn't see where DC3 was trying to assist me in doing that, AND I don't need to be talked down to from a fellow member who is not an administrator or team member for this website DC3 so.....Juvy that! The insults indicate a very small mind on your part. Good luck to you also.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:31 AM

Obviously you didn't realize the term "DUH" used in such context is insulting, and as for my referring to your juvy mind...well, from your response I thought I was dealing with a discourtious juvenile, as this usually is the case with such retorts.

To quote you," I have ALL of those things and I was STILL infected with spyware/adware", if you did, and they were properly updated, you probably wouldn't have been infected, and you would have been able to get rid of the Webhancer and MidAdle as they are both pretty simple spyware/adware. The SAH Agent is something different, apparently when conventional methods are used to remove this one it disables TCP/IP functions.

To quote you again," If it helps me accomplish what I need to, I'll happily make a donation to help keep the site going and show my appreciation. ", I'm sure that donations are always welcome, but I find it repugnant that you believe a donation is going to buy you preferential treatment from our members, that is insulting, and I don't want to dwell on just what kind of a mind you have.

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2005 - 03:32 AM.

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:48 AM

SpyVictim. If you follow tg1911's advice you should be fine. This topic is being closed due to the turn it has taken. If you have anymore problems please begin a fresh topic.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users