Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange colors on images and videos

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Yesterday about half of the images I encounter online load incorrectly. Bars of neon colors completely distort the images. I am having the same problem with streaming video. Bright pink, yellow, and green bars ruin the picture. It is the same in all browsers.
Also webpages are loading incorrectly with some sort of encoding error. All sites, including Google and bleepingcomputer occasionally load with lines of code and missing portions of the page. Often times links will not do anything when clicked.
I'm assuming the two problems are connected because they appeared at the same time. I'm not sure if it is a graphics card issue or an internet issue. Any help is appreciated.
Windows Vista 32-bit service pack 2
Firefox and Internet Explorer
Attatched is a screenshot of an image distorted with the strange colors.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Does your desktop, other programs look fine?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Yes. Everything else looks normal. The only problems I can see are online.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Weird....

Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same thing?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

Safe mode is running fine. No colors on pictures and videos and no encoding errors. Normal mode still has the same problems.

#6 sarunk

sarunk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Try to uninstall and reinstall Adobe Flash Player. Try to check the version of driver for display adaptor. Try to uninstall and reinstall the driver for display adaptor. If the issue does not get fixed then post the computer manufacturer and model number, model number for display adaptor.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Safe mode is running fine

It looks like some add-on is throwing fits on you.

Start in normal mode, disable ALL add-ons.
Restart FF.
Looks fine?
If so, re-enable ONE add-on.
Restart....and so on until you'll find the culprit.

Main suspects - toolbars.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

After disabling all add-ons I still have all of the problems. I have tried updating flash player in regular and safe mode and it fails. I have tried uninstalling flash player but uninstall_flash_player.exe fails. The problems also seem to be getting worse. Most webpages load incorrectly or not at all (encoding error) and most images are scrambled. Safe mode still looks fine though, with the exception of installing the newest flash player.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hmm....getting more weird, since safe mode is basically no-add-ons mode.
Create new FF profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager (half way down)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

New profile still has the same problems. I tried to update flash in the new profile also and I still get an error "failed integrity check" at about 90%. I am also having the same problems in internet explorer.

#11 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Try to check the version of driver for display adaptor. Try to uninstall and reinstall the driver for display adaptor. If the issue does not get fixed then post the computer manufacturer and model number, model number for display adaptor.

Not sure how to uninstall and reinstall the driver for my display adaptor, here is the info.
Model: Dell Inspiron 9400
Display Adapter: Generic PnP Monitor on Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1147

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

I doubt, it's your video driver since the problem exist in browsers only and on a top of it, the browser run in safe mode, everything is fine.
However, it won't hurt to go to Dell's site, enter your computer service tag number, download fresh video driver, uninstall current one and install new one.

If the above doesn't help, I suggest clean FF reinstall: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

New problem. All downloads are corrupt. Every application I've tried to download in the last few days has given me a corrupt file error. Any way this could be connected with the other problems?

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Before we start checking on your hardware...

What AV/firewall do you use?
Are you sure, you computer is malware free?
Is this laptop, or desktop?
Dedicated video card, or on-board video?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Good news! I ran Trend Micro and Superantispyware last night and everything was clear. Started my computer this morning and started firefox and i get a popup that says an Adobe add-on is causing stability issues and firefox automatically uninstalls the add-on. I installed the latest version of Flash and everything seems to be running perfectly. All pages and images are loading correctly and I just watched an hd video just to be sure and it went all the way through with no problems!

There is only one last problem I can see. In the add-ons menu there are two extensions with alerts that they "cause stability issues". However, the option to uninstall is not available (greyed out). Should I try to find updates for these add-ons or is there a way to uninstall them? The add-ons are fluxDVD Download Manager and Google Toolbar for Firefox.

I have not tried to download any applications to see if the corruption issue is fixed but I can try to resolve that another time if I encounter it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users