Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rkill.exe and a pev.rkexe problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OllieGator

OllieGator

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

Good morning from sunny and hot Florida!

I got hit about 30 hours ago by the AV Security Suite Malware - and it's a bugger to try and get rid of. This is on my work laptop, running Windows XP SP2 as a normal user (not enabled as an administrator). I do have administrator access to the local computer and can Run As... on my normal user account as an Administrator.

So, following the steps provided by this fine board, I've begun the process many times to get rid of this crap. However, I've encountered a problem that I haven't been able to find a solution for.

When running rkill.exe (or one of it's many flavors) in safe mode with networking, I get a normal Microsoft error that says pev.rkexe has encountered a problem and needs to close. If I close the program, it closes rkill.exe. If I leave it up, it appears to do nothing.

I've even tried the "overwhelm the defenses" method of starting rkill.exe multiple times, but always get that error.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA.

OllieGator

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users