Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptops without hard drives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pidds2

pidds2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

I work at a school and we recently got three IBM think pad 9457 laptops as a gift. These laptops had been used by the military and had the hard drives removed. I need to get them up and running. I don't have the recovery discs that came with the original units. Besides buying and installing the hard drives what else do I need to do to get them working? Do I need to buy windows and if so can I buy one and install on multiple machines? What is the best and cheapest way to get these working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

You will definetly need hard drives. Being IBM, since they no longer manufacture laptops they are probably older and will need IDE hard drives (you should double check this) And if the laptops still have the windows license keys on the bottom of the drive you can write IBM (if not, then try Lenova as they bought the PC division of IBM) and ask them for a recovery disc. If they cant send you one, or you don't have the license key you will have to purchase new operating systems. Of which here are your options:

1:Purchase a new copy of XP, they still sell it. (im guessing its HP if they are IBM)

2: purchase windows 7, though depending on the hardware might not be supported.

3: go the free route and run linux, a variant like Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

If you opt to purchase XP you will need drivers
They are available here
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 pidds2

pidds2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

You will definetly need hard drives. Being IBM, since they no longer manufacture laptops they are probably older and will need IDE hard drives (you should double check this) And if the laptops still have the windows license keys on the bottom of the drive you can write IBM (if not, then try Lenova as they bought the PC division of IBM) and ask them for a recovery disc. If they cant send you one, or you don't have the license key you will have to purchase new operating systems. Of which here are your options:

1:Purchase a new copy of XP, they still sell it. (im guessing its HP if they are IBM)

2: purchase windows 7, though depending on the hardware might not be supported.

3: go the free route and run linux, a variant like Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

I don't have a lot of experience running linux. Does it function like windows and do you think that young kids that know how to work windows and mac pcs would have a problem using linux.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Eeeeh, probably. Unlike windows, linux doesnt have executible files. Ubuntu is fairly easy to figure out, however, I would play around with it before deciding. Thankfully you can download a ubuntu live disc (other distros have this to) and put it in your computer, and boot up off the disc-without having to install it-and get a feel for it, whether you like it or not. Since its totally free, if you dont like it you can just toss it and purchase windows.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 pidds2

pidds2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Which linux environment is the easiest to use - ubuntu - kubuntu - suse - fedora? Can all of these be installed onto a new hard drive without already having windows

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Also if your school uses Windows XP on their computer system they may already have a Site license agreement depending on the limit of the license you may be able to install windows for free using the site license key. Contact the school Network system administrator for the information. A draw back may be the school used an outside firm to set up the network which means they hold the license or the PC's are licensed individually.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

What will the school use these computers for? If just for kids to surf the web and write papers then Ubuntu would work great. If the intent is to do gaming or use any type of Windows educational software packages then Linux wouldn't be the best choice.

Yes, Ubuntu (and other forms of Linux) are full OSes and don't require Windows to be installed. The one caveat with laptops is that you may not be able to find Linux compatible drivers for things like a web camera (if built-in) or wifi and stuff like that.

If the laptops have a CD drive, you could boot and run Ubuntu from the CD to try things out before even installing the hard drive.

Edited by strolln, 10 June 2010 - 01:49 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users