Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/Cryptor

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HPP

HPP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Yesterday I got locked out of my HP laptop (by a corrupted Windows file) (Windows XP home): I had removed several versions of MS Office in order to install the latest. When I rebooted instead of the desktop I was faced with the Windows login window which would not accept any passwords (changed password in the bios but still no good) so I reluctantly used the HP recovery disks and then spent the balance of the day downloading and installing SP1, SP2 & SP3 and all the available security upgrades. Then installed, AVG, Zone Alarm and Office 2010 and went to bed. This morning when I booted up I had the warning from AVG - have the Cryptor virus! From where? All the sites I visited were official and very few. I have only just finished getting the laptop set up and have no data on it as yet - is it going to be safer/quicker to just use the recovery disks and start again? I see something about the routers being a potential weakness - have a Belkinn N1 - does anyone know if this prone to problems?

With many thanks,

P.S.: AVG has just completed a scan and reports:

"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CA63F5AB-69A8-4CC3-833A-D2E138761D08}\RP18\A0007387.EXE";"Virus identified Win32/Cryptor";"Moved to Virus Vault"

"C:\HP\PROGRAMS\DVD\LR.EXE";"Virus identified Win32/Cryptor";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Even more puzzling....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users