Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP sp2! Computer switching off!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jamears

jamears

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:33 PM

Running Windows XP SP2. Have not been on my computer for a while and my son was complaining of it running slow so have updated all my security ewido, adware etc. I am finding it difficult to upgrade (renew) my Norton anti virus I can get onto the symtec web site but every time I get to check out to buy the down loadable upgrade it tells me there is nothing in my basket!!! I have disabled cookies in explorer and disable the security progs but to no avail.

My real problem has come after updating my security progs though and finding I was again infected second time I've asked for help. Now each time I try to run any of the security progs the computer itself will switch off the only way I can get it back is by switching off at the mains!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 konagirl

konagirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

When the service pack 2 first came out I installed it, but it gave me nothing but problems. I thought I had a virus that I couldn't find. Finally a service tech from Juvio took a look at my system and told me it was the sp2. I called Microsoft and they agreed with the service tech. I was told by the service tech to uninstall it as I had plenty of backup and didn't really need it. So I uninstalled it and haven't had a major problem since.

I like to hear if anyone else ran into the same problem.

Aloha,

Konagirl :thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

If you have not downloaded Norton Internet Security Suite why don't you try the one of the freeware antivirus programs listed below. Both are full verison and are comparitively light on resources. If you do besure to disable Norton first. Different AV programs don't play nice together.

AVG Free Edition (freeware)
Avast Home Edition (freeware)

I have been using AVG for over two years now.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 jamears

jamears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:21 AM

Down loaded AVG found another trojan!!! Thanx :thumbsup:

Computer still switching off half way through some scans though???

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

Try this other antispyware programs.

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition