Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application failed to start because the application...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rafisch

rafisch

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

I hade a problem with my PC where I was getting a blue screen and a message like "unmountable disk..." which I fixed by running chkdsk /r and then Fixboot. All ran Ok for a fe days and now whenever I try to strat any program (Microsoft Office, Quicken...) I get an error message "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:59 AM

Unmountable disk means that your hard drive has a problem in the MFT (master file table) or more likely the Partition Table. Best bet is to backup and reformat.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

The chkdsk /r is the normal cure for unmountable disk/drive errors and it seems to have solved that.

What applications failed to start? Did you do as suggested...and try uninstalling/reinstalling?

From what I see...any application dependent on Visual Basic or MS.NET may reflect such errors.

Take a look in Event Viewer and see what errors are noted...which may assert references to Side By Side or ID #32 or ID #59. Double-click such and post the detail.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

It would probably simpler to uninstall/reinstall the applications where you experience these errors...contrary to what you state, this error message seems to only occur in specific applications.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users