Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics card for "older" computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yeakukz sucks

yeakukz sucks

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:27 PM

Looking at replacing graphics card in an older box (homebuilt, about 3 year old system). I have a workstation card (PNY NVIDIA QUADRO 4 550xgl) that I needed for Autodesk Inventor, but I'm not running that anymore, so I'm looking for a more game-oriented card. At the same time, this is an older puter so I don't need/want the latest $700 card.
Whats a good choice for a system like mine, that'll give me good performance for games like HL2, and Medal of Honor, that costs under $100? TV in would also be a bonus, but not critical (HD if they are out there in this price range). Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:25 PM

you could try the nVidia GeForce FX5600 128mb card, if you can find it that is. Try to look for some older cards, but not too old. GeForce FX or newer, or Radeon 9000 or newer. Most preferably 128mb or higher. As long as you have an AGP 4x slot, you're good to go.

HOW DO YOU TELL IF YOU HAVE AN AGP 4x SLOT? EVEREST

Edited by legoman786, 08 October 2005 - 09:26 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

A possibilty.... I have geforce5900 for 2 years and it plays Doom3 fine ,2gig ram
heres a6600 wTV

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...5&sku=TC3H-1016
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 yeakukz sucks

yeakukz sucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check em out!

edit: Ran Everest, it tells me the AGP controller is an AGP version 2 slot with supported AGP speeds of 1x, 2x, and 4x. Since this is the case, will an APG 8x board still function on this system?

edit: found this from nvidia's web site, but they are talking about a 4x slot, is it the same thing as what my system has?:
NVIDIA based graphic cards which support AGP 8x mode (Accelerated Graphics Port) follow the AGP 3.0 specification. The AGP 3.0 specification retains backwards compatibility with older AGP 4x technology. All NVIDIA Geforce and Quadro GPU's which support AGP 8x mode are downwards compatible with AGP 4x motherboards. When a graphics card which operates at AGP 8x mode is installed on a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4x mode, the card will automatically switch to AGP 4x operation.

Edited by yeakukz sucks, 09 October 2005 - 10:23 AM.

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

it should work fine... don't worry. if you have any more questions feel free to come back, isn't that what this forum's about?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users