Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon Scanner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I have a Canon "CanoScan 8800F" which I got about 2 months ago. Have scanned about 500 4x6 photos with good results. same can be said for the 350 slides I also scanned. Yesterday I scanned for the first time 2 strips (8 frames) of negitaves, results also good, but it took from 3 to 5 minuets per frame, for a total of 25 to 40 minuets at 1200 dpi. The photos were scanned at 300 dpi and took less then 30 sec. to scan 2 4x6. The slides took about 4 minuets at 600 dpi for 4 slides. In as much as I'm very new at this and not good with the technical stuff does this seem like I am on the right track, or can I do things a different way?
I'm 84 years old so keep it simple!
Thanks
UncleMarine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Yes you are on the right track. The higher the resolution (or DPI [Dots per inch]) the slower the scanner will take but the better the image quality will be. Also with the higher DPI the image size will be greater too. The negatives take longer because of the DPI the scanner needs to use in order to obtain visual quality (its much harder to see a negative then a color photo or slide).

Hope this helps, Feel free to ask any more questions you may have :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

Thanks a lot Sneakycyber:
You could not have answered any better for my small brain. One other thing, the scanned negatives are showing a lot of scratches etc. much more then the scanned photos, is there a way to fix that?
I hope in the future you dont mind if I turn to you for more answers!!
What I'm doing is scanning slides, photos & negatives (Cica 1945 to Present) to the computer then making slide shows with a free download from Microsoft "Photo Story 3". I add music burn to DVD with a $20 add on from ?? (can't remember) and it then plays on the DVD player for TV. Works great and is just made for level of skill.
Thanks again
UncleMarine

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thank you for your kind words. Feel free to post anywhere in the hardware forums and when I'm not in class I will be around to help.

As far as fixing the photo's there is software out there that can fix just about anything its called Adobe photo shop its Very Expensive though and you would need to take a class at a local university to utilize it to its full extent ( I am taking a class next summer). There is another option that may work if you have Microsoft Office 2007 it has a picture viewer that has an edit feature with an Auto correct function that may take out the scratches for you. There are a collection of Free software that you can find here listed under Graphics Design & Editing you can try one of those. I am not however familiar with any of the programs as I use Adobe CS3. I will ask some other advisors for advice on what programs you can try that are free.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I asked some of the other advisors about free software you can use and the site admin came up with this Tutorial and the software.

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Years ago I did something similar with a lot of old negatives taken in the early to mid 40's.
The pics were taken with an old Browning Box camera with that lousy 1x1 view finder that no one could see anything through. If you are old enough to remember that camera, you know what I am talking about.

I used Irfanview for this as it would convert a negative to a positive image easily. By tweaking the settings for each picture I was able to remove most of the scratches without touching up the images.

Might be worth trying out
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

...and...you can always download one of the 15-30 day try-and-buy downloads of programs like Corel/Ulead PhotoImpact or Adobe Photo Elements and use that to play around with.

Trying carries no obligation for these programs.

Louis

#8 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I will give "Irfanview" a try. I hope it's not too complicated !!.
UncleMarine

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

^ No it isn't. In fact, you'll start liking the little tool.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users